Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Sv8 Shuddering

Neil R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8
Hi guys when driving the car it gets a shudder in 4th gear at around 1200-1400 rpm (feels like its near the gearbox)
i was told from my local gearbox shop that it was an engine misfire and to replace coils and leads/plugs, but after
replacing the parts it still gets the misfire. Could this be the start of the box (auto) ready to let go?
This problem only seems to appear after coming from my local holden dealer to get some other work done. Nobody seems to know what can causing this but have no solutions to fix it.
Thanks guys any information is appreciated

pau13z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 3.6L
Get your fault codes checked, better than just throwing parts at it.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Could be the rubber coupling on the tailshaft, they shudder the car when they split

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
What work did your local Holden dealer do to your car?
Might help to track the problem down.

Neil R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8
The work done was a new fuel pump and low pressure return line for the power steer which cracked after i had extractors and high flow cats put on ..i know its unrelated to the problem it has now but it seems pretty strange that the car had none of these issues prior to going in to get fixed from Holden. It also came back to me from Holden with the radiator getting transmission fluid in it but since then i have replaced the radiator.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Sounds like a coincidence.

Check the rubber driveshaft couplings. Also check your engine mounts. Put car in and out of drive and reverse with your foot on the brake and check its not rocking around too much

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
New exhaust mounted correctly?

Neil R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8
Yeh the exhaust is all mount correct , Just got back from a transmission guy and he seems to think its the traction control doing it and to test it over the weekend by driving it with it off
Seems to be doing it more at around 70/80 km/h so not sure how it could be the traction control but anyway we'll see over the weekend.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Is it vehicle or engine speed dependent?

Ie at 12-1400 rpm in 4th if you pull it down to 3rd (same vehicle speed) is the shudder the same?

Or can you reproduce it at 12-1400rpm in 3rd?

Neil R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8
Nah can't get it to do it in 3rd it only seems to be while its in 4th around those rpm range and at 70-80km/h and doesn't seem to do it with traction turned off which is wierd