Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Timing chain - can you still drive with the chain stretched?

Marco59

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs sv6
my VZ SVZ 06 is making the rattle noise. clocked 140000km
mechanic has said its a big job... one place quoted $3500, have been ringing around and few places seems to be quoting 3-4 grand.

I originally had error message indicating misfiring...mechanic thought that was causing the noise so had coils replaced and spark plugs...fixed the misfiring but the rattle noise continues seems to be timing chain.

My question is can I still drive around town? or should I listen to the rattle and simply not drive the car.

cheers
For an extra $500 you could have had the engine rebuilt. You've been done over bad old mate,typical of today's so called mechanics. Hope everything gets sorted for you.

Marco59

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs sv6
If the mechanic took the car to fix the engine light, charged $3500 and he didn't fix it then definitely bring it back and make a scene. If it's running great now maybe the engine light is due to a separate issue. Is he telling you what codes it's throwing up? Ask for the actual code number. Perhaps it was throwing a code before the fix and now it's another code? Any codes on the paperwork?

Anyway, at least the engine is running great but I would be hassling him about the engine light coming on. After spending that much money you'd expect it to all be ok. Leave it a few days and then go back and say you're really disappointed after spending so much money and feel the problem isn't fixed and that you can't drive around with the engine light on so can he please look at it again and fix it. Don't be rude or angry, it will get you nowhere.
I would be taking him to small claims as an engine rebuild is only 500 more than he charged just for the timing chains.