Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz timing chains

Discussion in 'VZ Holden Commodore (2004 - 2006)' started by Chrisfatlmo, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Chrisfatlmo

Chrisfatlmo New Member

Members Ride:
    1994 VR Calais 3.8L
    I’ve recently bought a 2004 manual vz exec Ute it’s just recently started to make a tapping kinda sound which after discussion with some mates have come to realise that it is most likely early stages of timing chains, I was wondering if there any sort of “upgraded” timing chains that aren’t gonna keep going every 60,000 ks that’s relatively cheap as I’ll have this car for a few more years.
    Had to many dramas with this car since I bought it like power steering, engine mounts and an alternator and it’s sucking my wallet dry and can’t afford piss all as a first year apprentice, had Buick’s all my my life so I’m absolutely clueless, cheers

2. _R_J_K_

_R_J_K_ Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Zenki S14
    Pretty sure any replacement is an upgrade. The timing chains are supposed to be a life time part that don't need to be serviced, and if you need to replace them because Holden cheaped out pretty sure whatever replacement you put in won't have the design flaws/cheapness of the original. I think there are ones that are better regarded than others though.

Having said that, the VZ timing chains seem to have nowhere near as many problems as the early VE ones, ECU seems to be the thing to go on the VZ. So if it ain't broke don't fix it.

3. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    If you want a low maintenance workhorse I’d consider selling it and buy something with an Ecotec or even a 6cyl falcon Ute before it needs serious engine work. Just my opinion.

Lex and losh1971 like this.
  4. immortality

immortality Home of the smoky breakfast Bacon! Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    I think once they went to the multi overhead cam configuration the timing chain for the life of the engine kinda died too. I don't think it's just the alloytec motors from GM that have this issue. Really long chains with multiple guides and tensioners is just asking for trouble, even the ecotec and Buick V6 3800 motors have issues with the tensioner wearing out but it just doesn't completely kill the engine like it can on the later engines.

5. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Yep my chain tensioner was fucked on the VR. Chain was pretty stretched too. Yet the rest of the engine was pretty good. Heaps of compression, even the bearings were ok for their age, but were replaced anyway.

6. gungazza

gungazza Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
    have a look at mace thay are sponsers here

7. stick3

stick3 Active Member

Members Ride:
    vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
  8. gungazza

gungazza Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
    pity thay are in vic

9. Little Red VZ Go-Kart

Little Red VZ Go-Kart I love puddles.

Members Ride:
    Ex-CFA VZ 175 Commodore Exec. 06 wagon
    Not all VZ engines were fitted with faulty timing chains; it is officially described by Holden as appearing in "isolated instances", and warning signs (rattling, rather than tapping) occurring around the 50,000 to 80,000km mark, and often (conveniently!) within the new car warranty period that covered the VZ upon its release, which of course is long-expired now. However, a used car dealer warranty of anything between 2 and 5 years/200,000km would also cover replacement of timing chains in the overall mechanical context.