Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ tune, where is the 48kw gone

Warrior

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ one-tonner
I got a tune done and the gained supposed to be 10 rwkw and better fuel economy. The max rwkw is now 127kw so the automatic, altenator, waterpump, etc,etc are using 48 kw without a/c. That means that it used to be 58 kw which to me is just about the power of a small 3-4 cyl. car. I got it done 3 days ago so I still need to do some driving and checking fuel eco. So far I'm not impressed fuel eco hasn't improved as yet. A mechanic mate who used to service the car from new had a drive today found it not to perform as a similar ute he had been driving. I think there is something else wrong with the car (engine, electronic,ecu). Fuel consumption with 98RON 12.2 l/100km (display) Any comments welcome:cry: :cry: :confused: :confused:

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
holden (and all manufactures for that matter) measure and rate the power at the fly wheel, not the rear wheels. you will lose power through the drive train, that is why your figure is alot lower then expected.

Warrior

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ one-tonner
holden (and all manufactures for that matter) measure and rate the power at the fly wheel, not the rear wheels. you will lose power through the drive train, that is why your figure is alot lower then expected.
I'm aware of that, sorry should have said so, but I'm being sarcastic. because not even an old Holden red motor would loose that much and a good red motor (carburetor) is capable of idling without vibrating the hole car.
48kw=64hp

Last edited:

dagar187

ls1nder
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ-SS
wat sort of tune did u get? i get xact same fuel mileage as ur.: 11.5-12.2l per 100km so maybe the mixtures and stuff havnt setteld yet? id be pretty dissapointed spending my hard earnd just to end up with the same drive! :)

highlander_69r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SE
I got a tune done and the gained supposed to be 10 rwkw and better fuel economy. The max rwkw is now 127kw so the automatic, altenator, waterpump, etc,etc are using 48 kw without a/c. That means that it used to be 58 kw which to me is just about the power of a small 3-4 cyl. car. I got it done 3 days ago so I still need to do some driving and checking fuel eco. So far I'm not impressed fuel eco hasn't improved as yet. A mechanic mate who used to service the car from new had a drive today found it not to perform as a similar ute he had been driving. I think there is something else wrong with the car (engine, electronic,ecu). Fuel consumption with 98RON 12.2 l/100km (display) Any comments welcome:cry: :cry: :confused: :confused:

surely the thuner gave you a b4 and after dyno graph???

give the car a week and see how it goes , if your not satisfied with the product go back to the tuner. what sort of "tune" was it exactly. i got a sv6 manual and it hasnt been that high but the auto is a bit thirsty i guess, but our work vz auto was running high 15s (real bad for a v6) which is not the first time i have heard of it.

as mentioned above the power figures by manufacturers are flywheel kw, and there is a rule of thumb of driveline loss for auto/man but i dont have the % rate on me atm.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS

vy-346

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T 6A & VH-ZXA
i remember hearing somewhere that a rough way to work out your power is...

rear wheel horsepower = flywheel kilowatts

so if you pulled a figure of 127 RWKW (170 RWHP) then it is roughly 170 FWKW

Yeah I've seen that one thrown around before too. But it has been shown to be wrong in alot of cases too.

There is just something about the one tonners that is weird.. reports of using lots of fuel, and sluggish performance.. even in the LS1 powered ones. Don't get me wrong i know its designed as a work vehicle, And i think warriors 117rwkw and 12.2l/100km is about right considering the sv6's have been ranging from around 130-150rwkw and roughly that fuel figure, but others are real shockers, my mates is a fuel pig at around 13.5l/100km on the highway (V6) and his bosses one (v8) averages 17-18l/100km. Why do they differ in performance/driveability/fuel economy so much from say an s or ss ute.