Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Ute Intermittent Start

Greg 25

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore manual ute
Hi, hope someone can help as this is driving me insane.

My sons VZ manual ute has a intermittent start problem, it is not consistent and very random when it happens, on occasions (random) the key turns and nothing, wait 10-15 minutes of continual trying to start and it will suddenly start, car will run normally will start every next start until will randomly not start again and repeats.

It does record code on OBD P061 which is a internal memory fault for ECU I am thinking, and has a associated "Check Drivetrain" message on dash display, these can be reset by OBD reader until next random "no start" occurrence which records same, and can be reset again.

Have had battery, alternator and starter replaced with new OEM items.

This is very frustrating and annoying, and advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Repairers want car to fault find but fault is random and when it starts again will continue to start as normal until next random"no start".

Hope someone can help.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
This will occur when a particular part of the ECU has a poor earth. If you ever saw inside one, you’d understand how that happens. There are very fine wires in there. Dry solders also.

There are ECU repairers who have a work around repair for about $300.

It is a fault that progressively gets worse.

There may well be other reasons too, but the ECU/ECM in VZ V6’s are crapola.

Greg 25

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore manual ute
Thank you, recommend any ECU repairers in Brisbane?

RossK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE11 SV6, VF LPG Evoke
My daughters VZ had a intermittant start issue, but with no codes or check drivetrain messages though. Just no cranking at all, just the solenoid click.
New Battery - not fixed
New Starter - not fixed.
When I replaced the starter, i noticed how close the leads come to the exhaust, so for curiosity I checked the voltage at the starter lead- 10V.
Gave the lead a shake and it fluctuated from 0-12.8V.
Checked connections at both ends and retested, same result.
So I removed the main lead and the solenoid lead from the car and checked their continuity. They were both bad, give them a wiggle and they would fluctuate.
So I replaced both and it's been fine for the last 3 months.
Not saying this is your problem, but a quick and easy test.