Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ V6 Rattle!

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
i think this will be sorted when one of us acctually has the car inspected by a mechanic coz a.t.m all we've done is thrown around a few possibilities but no ones acctually had it looked at.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
i think this will be sorted when one of us acctually has the car inspected by a mechanic coz a.t.m all we've done is thrown around a few possibilities but no ones acctually had it looked at.

lol me? im only guessing what it could be, i couldnt be stuffed putting it up on the hoist atm to sort it out haha

mattvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ S Ute
Did anyone have any luck with this rattle problem.
I have a VZ S ute and its got the same problem . It goes away after the exhaust gets warm which makes me think its the exhaust or heat shield rattling and when the exhaust expands a bit when hot it tightens whatever is loose.
Mine is on the passenger side and happens for about 2 mins from a cold start from rev range of 1600 to 2000 RPM .
I have only had my ute a few weeks so I will probably take it back under the 3 month warranty .
Cheers
Matt

hsvsvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ UTE
hey i have twin exhaust on my vz svz ute and the rattle i get comes from my rear shock absorbers as the bushes are worn out at 70 000kms

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
im gonna strip mine down on the long weekend and have a look. The possibility has also arisen of a bad connection between the rear muffler and pipes or perhaps a bad connection with the gaskets.

Easiest way will be to take it off, check for any obvious signs of rubbing, re-check my new mount hasnt come loose, check the rear muffler and pipes all connect without hassle, check any heatshields, re-check the mountings when I put it back on. :whistling

Will be a big job for a bloke with a set of car ramps and a jack but thats how we put her on. Failing this i will need to get it looked at because its at that point now that Im about to crack it.

satos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
I have a similar problem to the other people here.
I have re tightened and adjusted the heat shields which seems to have fixed it but the rattling is still there on start up but not as bad as before.I still think its the heat shields causing the noise when the exhaust expands and heats up from a cold start up.

mattvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ S Ute
Well I had a chance to have a look on the weekend .
Firstly while the car was cold and doing a door knock method on the exhaust system just back from the front wheels ( where the heat shield is ) it will resonate and make the rattle sound . on closer inspection of the heatshield, it is in two halves , and at the front of it ( closest to the front of the car ) the two halves have a gap . it is this gap that is causing the rattle as the two halves are vibrating against each outher .
I did the same test when hot and it doesnt rattle, because the metal has expanded and is tighter.
I put a clamp on the heatshield where the gap is and no more noise .I might put some kevlar exhaust wrap between the two halves so if they do touch they wont touch metal, then put the clamp back on to secure it .
Matt

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
that would make sense because a few of us checked out my car from cold yesterday and found it to be somewhere between the extractor and where the pipe comes out, ie if you squat down and had X ray vision you'd be looking straght through the quarter panel.

I'll investigate a bit more on the weekend but yes, that sounds like a probable cause for mine as it sounds more like metal rubbing on each other and doesnt do it when hot

mattvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ S Ute
yeah the sound is sort of like like ball bearings rattling in a tin can. I can report that the rattle is still fixed since my temp fix on the weekend.
Im guessing you could take the heatshields off all together and use kevlar exhaust wrap instead .
Cheers
Matt