Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ V6 running hot for no apparent reason

SKNOT9

All hope is gone
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS series II Acclaim
ok well i dont think that is the problem, because i put the car into diagnostic mode or whatever and it happened this morning it said my coolant was at 119 degrees so if it was the radiator cap it wouldnt be able to get that hot if it wasnt pressurised and i got out and my top hose was hotter than bottom hose, ive heard that that means thermostat

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Could be an air lock in the system causing innefficient cooling. Have you rebled the cooling system at all during your diagnosis?

Scaf_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Calais
Im not shore if this will help be helped with me,

Take your rad cap off and start the car, see if you can see anywater swashing around down the cap. If not top it up until u see it bubble and settle. This happend to me and for some reason my reservoir said was full but was hardly anything in the block.

SKNOT9

All hope is gone
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS series II Acclaim
ill try that scaf-man, cheers, and also how do u bleed it sabbath? ive only ever done that with an ecotech

SKNOT9

All hope is gone
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS series II Acclaim
well i replaced the radiater cap the other day and it hasnt done it for about 3 half hour drives, so i think the problem is fixed. Thanks everyone! when i took the other radiator cap off i noticed that i could only push the spring in about 2-3mm and then it stuck and wouldnt push in anymore so i believe it was a dodgy one.

Longy188

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
gday, this is the exact problem my sv6 is doing it only does it occasionaly, so by the sounds of it ill be up for a new thermo or cap, how hard is it to change the thermo ? and how do u bleed the system ??

SKNOT9

All hope is gone
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS series II Acclaim
apparently its a pretty big job to do the thermostat, either have to drop out the gearbox or take the inlet manifold off as the housing is at the back of the engine. But give a radiator cap a go to start with it was only 13 bucks. Not sure how to bleed the system sorry

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
yeh, it is a fairly large job to do the thermostat for that reason /\

Ive heard gearbox out is easiest