Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz v8 temperature drops going down hills

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
What brands have you used ?
Car ever been in a front smash causing distortion?
Probably just cheap rads..

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Put a new cap on as well, might be too much pressure in the system causing them to crack.

Also, if the VZ still had the 4 port heater tap check it is working correctly.

Stars-VZ-SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS CREWMAN
I have a GoPoint Technology Bluetooth thingy plugged in to the OBD connector under the steering wheel shrouding. Temperature is accurately displayed on my iPhone in its windscreen harness. Heaps of other sensors and stuff I don't understand is availible as well. I just use it for temp readings and fault codes, a worthwhile investment.

Brian MacArthur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Grange & VZ SV8
The lasr 2 radiators have been new.put in by 2 different qualified mechanics. car has never had a hit in the front.alloy radiators in NZ cost alot more than a std new radiator...but yes that may be my only chance to stop cracking plastic tanks.I will put a new rad cap on...the last rad is under warranty so I will try replacing it again...will I nd a new thermostat as it is still the original but the mechanic said I shouldnt nd to replace it as the car never gets hot or go above 1/2 on temp gauage..always stays on the 1/4 unless travelling down a hill? also I have just purchased a new key head & had it coded by holden but it womt unlock the door unless I point it at the centre of the windscreen???

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The battery in your new key could be a dud.

Brian MacArthur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Grange & VZ SV8
I have found that I need to keep my key seperate from my cellph. it works fine if the 2 are now near each other but if i put my remote key & ph together in my pocket the key remote will not open the door? anybody had a similar episode?

Brian MacArthur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Grange & VZ SV8
HELP...NEW RADIATOR PUT IN, NEW THERMOSTAT & RADIATOR CAP, NEW ANTIFREEZE. RADIATOR WAS NEW THOUGH ISMADE IN CHINA AS WERE THE LAST 2HAS LASTED JUST 3 WEEKS, HAVE A LEAIK. SMELL ANTI FREEZE AFTER DRIVING.

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
You may be buying over and over again a bad batch of radiators. Something may be rubbing on the radiator causing a hole (Are the rubbers in the radiator mounts?) You could be suffering from Electrolysis.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
What colour coolant are running? Being an alloy engine you should be running red coolant NOT green, although running the wrong coolant wouldn't wreck the radiator in 3 weeks

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'm with the electrolysis theory. Will need to check to see if there is any electrical current running through the cooling system. May as well check all the electrical system earth points on the car/engine. Make sure they are clean and tight. You don't want paint between a cable terminal and mounting point either.