Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ vs BA

T

t-rev

sweet vt,
how can you possibly compare a BA to a VT, first off a VT's engine is 10 years old (i mean in 147kw form). One of my mates ownes a VZ and he said they go really hard and thats only the 175kw engine. im sure you if went and test drove an sv6 or something with the 190kw engine you would be pleasantly suprised...

sweet vt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt berlina
I know the comparison was a bit unfare, But I miss my VS in terms of performance and it had the same 147kw as my current VT. I recon from 0-100 the VS would have been pretty close to the BA but my VT wouldn't get a look in. I am going on Friday to the Eagers Holden to see what the Exec and the Sv6 have too offer. I hope there is not too much difference between them cause a Sv6 with a couple of extras will be about 40 grand on road and I know once I have driven the Sv6 that I won't want the Exec.

T

t-rev

well then i wouldnt drive the sv6 if i were you as you'll want that extra power :yeah:
i still recon that if you take into account the weight of the BA (being over 100 kg's heaver than the commy) that the VZ exec would be almost exactly the same 0-100km. i mean the difference is only 7 kw, although im not sure about torque figures.

Toa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VW J&S Supa Sport Dune Buggy
t-rev said:
i still recon that if you take into account the weight of the BA (being over 100 kg's heaver than the commy) that the VZ exec would be almost exactly the same 0-100km. i mean the difference is only 7 kw, although im not sure about torque figures.
BA XT 0-100km/h 7.23 sec
VZ exec 0-100km/h 8.3 sec

Not everything is about the peak power figure

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
From what I have seen of both the VY and BA the BA absolutely owns the VY. Not only do they go better but they look better too, hopefully be getting my own soon :yeah:

Oh I dunno how the VY is when it comes to security but found out something a bit concerning about the BA, apparently their security is shocking. A mates GT got stolen from a very public place, then funnily enough a day after when we were driving home another GT drove past which we figure was probably hot cos the alarm was blaring and lights were going off and he was in a bit of a hurry. Then when mate was at rta he was told that lots of BA's are being pinched cos theres something dodgy with their door locks and its very easy target for thieves. He also heard that someone from ford has been 'acquiring' customer keys and copying them whilst they are being serviced.....

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
Julie said:
Oh I dunno how the VY is when it comes to security

No post 1997 Holdens are on record as having been successfully stolen without access to the key.

Toa

Reaction score
Members Ride
clixanup said:
No post 1997 Holdens are on record as having been successfully stolen without access to the key.
Funny that, since VT commies are the most stolen post 1997 vehicle in Australia, must be a lot of stray keys getting round.

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
Toa said:
Funny that, since VT commies are the most stolen post 1997 vehicle in Australia, must be a lot of stray keys getting round.

I might've been exaggerating. In fact, upon reading your reply, most reasonable people would assume so. But, when you look at the numbers, it turns out that I could be right.

For 2004, the single most popular car to steal was the VL Commodore, with almost 4,000 reported thefts.

Compare that with the number of VTs stolen: 765.

Wait a minute. There could be 765 keys "floating around" when you consider that the VT was the most popular model since HQ. Furthermore, stealing of VT and post VT Commodores was mostly done by "organised thieves" as evidenced by the fact that they also scored low recovery rates.

Source: http://www.carsafe.com.au/documents/No14March2005.pdf

Toa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not having a go clixanup, it's just that ford "used" to claim the same thing about their falcons from EB onwards, and both are gross exaggerations. There are many ways to drive off in a VT commie without a key. None of which I will be posting on here though, but one of the ways is handy if you ever lose your keys, but you have to wait around for two hours to do it.

sweet vt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt berlina
Ok, I did the test drive thing. I went in the Exec and I was impressed with everythig exept what was under the hood. It was doey off the mark but it reved hard. It was smooth as but never really exciting. Next was the Sv6. Man what a difference. I was like driving a totally different car. The handeling was way better than the stocko. The engine feel was as if it had at least 50 more KW than the Exec not just 15. I think it would be easily a mach for the BA but what a totally different feel.... The BA is a torquy feel but the Sv6 has a revvy jap 6 feel. I would say that the BA would be in front till about 40 km/h and then the Sv6 would real it in. You would have to run them side by side to find out. The BA 6 really hammers up in the rev range but theSv6 has a really peaky feel that is different to the BA. I like the look of the Sv6 but the new BA SR looks sweet too with the 17's and is heeps cheaper. It is comming down to brand loyalty now but I will have to be sure when I am spending that sort of money. The choise has been made alot harder. One thing is for sure....The Commodore has come a long way from the VT. I hated getting back in mine.