Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Wagon - annoying creaking noise

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
You are looking for any movement in the pins.

Thanks XioiX

One of the hinge pins can be moved if I push on it hard enough, the other is too firm. They look like they could do with a lube, they are pretty dry.

I drove the car around today after spraying all the rubber with WD40. Hard to tell if there's any difference really, still rattles over uneven roads.

Doesn't seem as loud though. Got me stumped.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Are you sure the sound is coming from the tailgate? The tailgate striker is adjustable and if the setting enables slight movement in and out, adjust the striker pin to pull the tailgate into the body further. Even if it doesn't seem to allow any freeplay, adjust it in a tad anyway. It's a big panel and the body flexes slightly under normal use, enabling the gate to rub on its seal and generate a slight squeak. The gate will require a firmer push to close but it will sit tighter in its opening and won't move with body flex.

Finally, you can rub talcum powder on the seal where it contacts the tailgate. This will also help to eliminate squeaking if it's caused by the gate moving against the rubber whilst in motion.

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Are you sure the sound is coming from the tailgate? The tailgate striker is adjustable and if the setting enables slight movement in and out, adjust the striker pin to pull the tailgate into the body further. Even if it doesn't seem to allow any freeplay, adjust it in a tad anyway. It's a big panel and the body flexes slightly under normal use, enabling the gate to rub on its seal and generate a slight squeak. The gate will require a firmer push to close but it will sit tighter in its opening and won't move with body flex.

Finally, you can rub talcum powder on the seal where it contacts the tailgate. This will also help to eliminate squeaking if it's caused by the gate moving against the rubber whilst in motion.

Hi Calaber

Thanks for your reply - as best as I can tell it's the cargo area including the tailgate. Jury is still out on the pin hinges - but yes no noticable movement with the tailgate closed - although I might try your suggestion and adjust it a little. So Talcum powder is the stuff to use on the rubbers? I already went over them with WD40 last week - but once it dries then yes I'll be trying that. I'll let you know how it goes once I have time to try your suggestions. Thanks again for the detailed information - I appreciate it.

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Made some progress with this. It would seem that the noise had more than one source and since spraying the rear suspension rubbers a good deal of the noise is now gone. So the rubbers were dry. That addresses the creaking - now for the rattle.

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
you have a broken or weak rear spring, it's rubbing against the shock

Hi jsnolea12,

Thank you for the thought, but both springs are fully intact. The noise has improved 90% since I sprayed all the suspension rubbers with WD-40. The remaining 10% is coming from elsewhere. Got the flu at the moment so haven't taken it any further.

Appreciate your suggestion :)

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride

Calaber - thanks heaps

It would seem that the tailgate striker pin was out a tiny bit. At the moment it's quiet, but it''s too hard to close the tail gate properly, so I'll back it off a tad. But thanks for your advice :)