Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Wagon First Car? Pros/Cons!

munter000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ wagon
My VZ wagon has been with me for eighteen months...sometimes I love it and sometimes not.

I bought it with 173000km on the clock, now showing 189000km.

Since purchasing the car I have had the following work done: new discs and pads front and rear, replaced brake fluid, new water pump, idler wheel, tensioner wheel, serpentine belt, rad cap and coolant, new rear shocks, front strut top bushes, transmission filter and fluid, diff fluid change, three oil changes with filter, changed 17" mags to VZSS 18", steering rack adjustment, hi flow airfilter, spark plugs and gaskets, a couple of upholstery repairs and some minor replacements of door lock toggles, replacement tail lights and headlights.

It seems my next expense is timing chain replacement...ergh!

First car recommendations: no

Last edited:

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Meh for a first car and a general runabout I'd go a VZ no issues. I Have owned mine for 5 years and done around 75,000 ks in that time. Other than general maintenance and normal consumables never had an issue with anything on the car that wasn't caused by myself in some way. That said definetly more complex engine to work on than a Eco but still if its been maintained properly you shouldn't/your mechanic need to spend much time under there at all.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Since purchasing the car I have had the following work done: new discs and pads front and rear, replaced brake fluid, new water pump, idler wheel, tensioner wheel, serpentine belt, rad cap and coolant, new rear shocks, front strut top bushes, transmission filter and fluid, diff fluid change, three oil changes with filter, changed 17" mags to VZSS 18", steering rack adjustment, hi flow airfilter, spark plugs and gaskets, a couple of upholstery repairs and some minor replacements of door lock toggles, replacement tail lights and headlights.

It seems my next expense is timing chain replacement...ergh!

First car recommendations: no
From what you've described it sounds like you've essentially given that car a major service and that's about it ? That could all be done at home in your spare time for 5 or 600 dollars and is no different from any other second hand commodore. In fact if you owned a VY wagon instead you would need to add a full set of front bushes to the list as well.
Timing chains I agree tho, that's what the decision comes down to with a VZ - VE. At some stage you might be hit with the dreaded engine light and a $1500-2000 bill to fit a new set of chains.
A smart buyer would look for a low k car, under 150ks from a genuine family seller with good service history that drives smooth.
OP didn't say if they will be doing their own maintenance or not. If you can't then buy a Getz with warranty instead and never open the bonnet.