Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Wagon thermo fan not working

Wilko75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim Wagon
I have a VZ wagon and one of the thermo fans is not working. I have had it to an auto electrician and he says the error code that comes up is "high speed can bus". He thinks the body control module is faulty, but can't be certain. I got some advice from the local Holden dealer and want $150 to do a diagnostic test - they think it would be more like the engine control module and a fitted replacement is about $900. Any help would be appreciated.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
High speed CAN is ECU, BCM is generally mid or low speed bus. It seems his scan tool isnt up to reading the codes as that isnt a trouble code.

I would apply voltage to the fan that isnt working to make sure it isnt simply a dead fan motor.

Wilko75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim Wagon
Thanks RiCeY. The fan is working when voltage is applied so the problem must be the ECU (or faulty temperature sensor maybe?). Do you think a Holden dealer ship would be the best way to go - they should have a much better diagnostic setup? I just wasn't sure if $900 sounded right for a new fitted ECU.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Work your way back and check fuses/relays.

Does the car overheat? Generally the second thermo only kicks in as required.

If the above fails then I would try another auto electrician that is better equipped.