Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ with a 3.8 litre

Madhouse_Dave

Crazy but Happy
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Calais
Hi there
Just wondering if there is anything stopping me remov8mg a 3.5 Vz engine and replacing it with a fresh 3.8 v6
I love the VZ but not the engine. I am in favour of the 3.8 but can’t find a good VY Calais or berlina around for sale.
live been lookimg so long, and these VZs seem to just be scraped as no one wants them.
Any thoughts or ideas ?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The law is stopping you.
You can't put an old engine in a newer car. Just learn how to maintain the Alloytec. A lot of the bad reputation to they have comes from bad maintenance from lazy and cheap maintenance including some mechanics and workshops. How many times do we see pictures on here of Alloytecs with green coolant in them because someone thinks they know better than the manufacturer or because coolants are all the same anyway.....
Same goes for oils and service intervals.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
lot of work to change it to eco plus the law with rms rego checks, insurance, greenslips
we know most of the problems is with pvc there is a mod on here in howtos section which i have done and poor service history
i think the best option is to get another alloytec the same strip clean replace the chains thermostat and what ever else before it goes back in

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
You would need a donor of some kind to do the conversion anyway. Nothing from the VZ will work with the Ecotec including the gearbox, k-frame, ECU etc...

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Just follow your books and look after your Alloytec. A much superior engine than Ecotec. It’s too easy.