Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

wanna do up my car but not sure on the do's and don'ts

jujibelly

ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Commodore
Twin turbs. That is all.

ShadowMyst86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
Think about the practicalities of a low, kitted Commodore in Dalby as well. The roads from Dalby are awful and don't mix too well with lowered cars. A mate tore his lowered XR6 apart doing that drive.

Also, try getting a lowered R8 kitted Commodore into or out of the Coles carpark and you'll be up for a new front bumper every week.

Not saying don't, just choose wisely. Be nice to see more quality Commodores and less clunkers out that way.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
V6 exhaust systems become irritating after the first 5 mins. Ask anyone who has owned one.

R8 bodykits belong on an R8

I'd go -

Tinted windows
Custom made sheepskins
Audio upgrade
Wheel upgrade, but only something by Holden.

Save you money with regards to performance mods. Anyone who has been down the V6 path, will advise you against it. Not saying that there isn't gains to be had, but they are minimal considering the outlay. By the time you finish, a better car could have been had for the same money, sometimes less.

If you want a performance car just save up and buy one, rather than throwing money at a 4 door family car. Commodores are great, but modified V6 auto's rarely turn out well.

Consider the market come time of sale aswell. A modified Commodore will only appeal to a small sector.

lilpavey

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz executive
i thought screw the bodykit looks dodgy and i dunno what springs i go with on 18" rims... i was told super lows. and i want my car to put out at least 185-200 Kw and i only just bought the car so i am not in the position to buy like an sv6 (which i wanted) just to the turbo, i am only on my red p's so i can't have it yet...

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
V6 exhaust systems become irritating after the first 5 mins. Ask anyone who has owned one.

R8 bodykits belong on an R8

I'd go -

Tinted windows
Custom made sheepskins
Audio upgrade
Wheel upgrade, but only something by Holden.

Save you money with regards to performance mods. Anyone who has been down the V6 path, will advise you against it. Not saying that there isn't gains to be had, but they are minimal considering the outlay. By the time you finish, a better car could have been had for the same money, sometimes less.

If you want a performance car just save up and buy one, rather than throwing money at a 4 door family car. Commodores are great, but modified V6 auto's rarely turn out well.

Consider the market come time of sale aswell. A modified Commodore will only appeal to a small sector.

Prob the best written comment yet... Mind you big dirty v8 aren't for everyone.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Prob the best written comment yet... Mind you big dirty v8 aren't for everyone
A performance car dosen't have to be a V8, and it dosen't have to a Commodore variant either, it dosen't even have to be that fast..

I'm just saying at the end of the day, unless your doing major transformations, it will still be a VZ Exec Auto V6. It might be slightly lower and slightly louder with a body kit and wheels, but under neath it all nothing has changed.

I think if your a P Plater, and you want a performance car, then just drive what you have for now from A to B, and hold on to your money, and your points (your going to need them).

When the time comes for your open license, not only will you legally be allowed to drive just about anything you want, but you will a lot closer to being able to afford it aswell.

lilpavey

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz executive
come on i am an 18 year old male, i am not gonna have a 100% stock car lol... i am planning on having this car for at least 3 years or more.. i know it will always be a Vz but why not have a VZ that stands out from the rest?

i am just thinking now
- extractors
- exhaust system
- 18" wheels
- Super low springs

I will post some photos of my car as it is atm soon. so then once i am done, i can show the old vs the new

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Wheels and suspension can add individuality to a vehicle, i don't have any objections there. Maybe see if you can track down an upsec interior, seats ect?

You will get tired of the exhaust though guaranteed, i give it until your 19, and extractors aren't worth the $500+ outlay.

A manual conversion would offer better bang for your buck than exhaust + extractors, and would make it much more of a fun car to drive..

You did ask for the "do's" and "don'ts" remember?

Last edited:

SHADO

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ute
Please don't get an exhause on a V6 . . . Sounds terrible - I really regret it.
Dont put an exhaust on and just think of it as stealth mode ;D

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
i think my post is all thats needed in this thread, lists pretty much all mods you can do, and if th OP wants do it it, let him do it. we all learn and live my the things we do regardless of what anyone else tells us otherwise