Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

wanting help/buy exhaust manifold for a vt stainless or mild steel which one ?

D

devilly

need some help due to my exhaust manifold cracking it's about 3/4 of the way around.i have gen 1 VT. can i just buy some extractors and put them straight on.or do i need to change the whole set up? should i get stainless steel or mild steel ? don't care about the noises of it, just care about the length of life and how to install it properly.if anyone has some for sale let me know,or any good places to buy from.any information will be greatly appreciated.thanks heaps

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Sounds like an Awsome excuse for a set of extractors, mild steel is fine, there are benefits to stainless like holding heat better, lasting longer etc but the mild steel extractors are so cheap these days might as well?!

D

devilly

lol any excuse is better then none. standard exhaust manifold passenger side, looks like its a manufacturing defect. same crack line on every one that I've looked at so far.if i just buy the manifold will it just bolt straight on ? thanks for the link :)

meady_183

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Berlina
I used to swear by pacies, but after fitting a set of these onto a friends car, for the price I doubt I'll go back:

Holden Commodore VT VX VU VY V6 3 8 LTR Stainless Steel Extractors Headers | eBay

I was impressed by the workmanship and the overall quality of the extractor. I also like the fact that it's stainless (looks good haha). Keep in mind that these, like a lot of extractors aren't a direct bolt in fit. The y-piece will have to be modified.

D

devilly

mmm don't like em they look like they have used the wrong metal to weld,and it's starting to rust on the welds.thanks for the heads up on the y piece will look into it :)

meady_183

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Berlina
mmm don't like em they look like they have used the wrong metal to weld,and it's starting to rust on the welds.thanks for the heads up on the y piece will look into it :)

Allow me to educate.

If you're referring to the yellowing around the joins, it's certainly not rust. It's just the way the surface reacts when contaminants have been burnt during the welding process.

The yellow colour just shows that it's been welded at a relatively low heat. Different temperatures produce different colours.

I'm sure you're familiar with the blue colour that stainless turns when exposed to high heat?

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
The y-piece will have to be modified. ........didnt know that

so its an exhaust shop job either way

just read this bit .... requirement
Fitment notes:
Fitment of any brand extractors does require new cats / cat pipes to be welded in to suit. This can be performed by any good exhaust shop.

cant figure why stainless units ..cheaper then pacemakers steel
always thought stainless was a more expensive metal and harder to work

Last edited:
D

devilly

Thanks for all the advice and help..I think I'm losing it :) if i put on extractors also have to change power steering pump rubbers,something about heat affecting the rubbers and then a leak will happen.dunno what to do.what i was trying to say is if you use the wrong the wrong metal, to weld stainless steel, isn't it pron to rusting .don't you have to weld stainless steel with stainless steel rods.