Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wanting some info on the Ls1 engine

Rocking_along

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS ute
Cheers for all the comments guys,

Yeah it would be my daily and one of the mods I would do is a lumpy as cam, so sitting in traffic all the time in a manual might getting annoying, stop start stop start.. but then again it would be very fun slamming through the gears with my foot down. But on the weekends when I take it down the 1/4 mile I would rather an auto for that.. just trying to decide what I want.. Auto, manual, Auto, manual :)

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
You take an auto down the 1/4, it'll only change when it wants to, not when you want it to.
Unless you manually shift the auto......then whats the point.

Rocking_along

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS ute
You take an auto down the 1/4, it'll only change when it wants to, not when you want it to.
Unless you manually shift the auto......then whats the point.

Yeah it changes when it should so with power mode on and foot to the floor it will rev its tits out, and manual you loose shifting time, auto its just boom right into gear. Manually shifting an auto is just as good cause your not wasting time with the clutch

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
the auto box is verry week my mate spent $$$$ rebuliding his three times befor he converted to a manual

Plenty of people putting power through Auto boxes without having spent stupid money rebuilding them.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Plenty of people putting power through Auto boxes without having spent stupid money rebuilding them.

...and more often than not the standard box starts letting go with basic bolt ons and a tune. The later boxes werent to bad, but the early ones. Oh god, did they let go.

Really depends on what you want it for. Weekend fun id go a manual every day of the week. Down the strip worked auto.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
...and more often than not the standard box starts letting go with basic bolt ons and a tune. The later boxes werent to bad, but the early ones. Oh god, did they let go.

Yeah, but then you just get it rebuilt once, instead of doing it three times and spending more than one good rebuild.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Yeah, but then you just get it rebuilt once, instead of doing it three times and spending more than one good rebuild.

Wait...who rebuilds a gearbox three times?

I didnt read the entire thread.

Surely after the second time questions would be raised :p

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Im a auto man myself. City driving does that.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
Yeah it changes when it should so with power mode on and foot to the floor it will rev its tits out, and manual you loose shifting time, auto its just boom right into gear. Manually shifting an auto is just as good cause your not wasting time with the clutch

you'll find that you'll be wasting your time manually shifting a 4l60e auto, its all set in the ecu for optimal shifts. A t400 or t700 on the other hand can benefit from manual shift

I had tried manually shifting my VZ from 2nd-3rd and it just found keep hitting limiter and didn't want to change. Best to stick it in d for drag

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Yeah. How does it go......? N for nothing, D for drag, R for race, P for pass.......and the whole bloody thing, she blow up.