Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wanting to change my alloy wheels (TPM) first time on a WN Caprice V

BLOWN-WH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Statesman-Caprice collection
Hi all.

Ive decided its about time i change over my stock Caprice alloys and i just had a question to ask please if i could get some info on?

Regarding the Tire Pressure Monitor system on the Caprice is there anything involved when swapping over to different alloy wheels?
Im interested in swapping over to the HF-20's Forged Alloy 20 x 8.5 wheels but would i need to actually remove anything from inside my original alloy wheels at the moment/any device fitted between the alloy & tire is what i mean more precisely?
Does any calibration need to be done when changing over from 19 inch to 20 inch wheels?

Sorry its just I've never owned a Holden with a TPM system and I'm completely clueless to how it exactly operates LOL.

Also i know theres 3 type of the HF-20's which are either in Black, Machined Face (silver) with Gunmetal ports or Midnight (dark grey) finish and was wondering to ask other peoples opinions on which colour they would go for on a White coloured WN Caprice?
Im sorta leaning towards the Midnight (dark grey) finish ones at the moment as i think the darker contrast on white might look decent plus helps hide brake dust too for a bit! :p

Would love hearing peoples feedback or if you own the same model/colour which wheel you went for?

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
The TPM just unbolt from the rim. The are the valve stems which have the monitor on the inside of the rim. You may have to re-program the car if you change the location of the valves on different wheels.

The dark grey HF20's would look awesome on the Caprice. The Holden brochure shows the dark grey and looks good.

mc_avs

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF Calais V 6.0ltr V8
I had 22" Custom Painted G8's on my WM & I took off the sensors & turned off the Tyre Pressure System, personally never cared for it.

BLOWN-WH

Reaction score
Members Ride
The TPM just unbolt from the rim. The are the valve stems which have the monitor on the inside of the rim. You may have to re-program the car if you change the location of the valves on different wheels.
The dark grey HF20's would look awesome on the Caprice. The Holden brochure shows the dark grey and looks good.
Ahh ok cool. Thank you for the info :)
So for the maybe re-program would that only be if i went for after market alloys you mean? Would staying with HF-20's Holden's genuine accessory alloys not need a reprogram or thats still a maybe too?

I had 22" Custom Painted G8's on my WM & I took off the sensors & turned off the Tyre Pressure System, personally never cared for it.
Wow 22" NICE!
I take it though to turn off the TPM system thats something that can't be done by your self and needs to be taken to Holden?

mc_avs

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF Calais V 6.0ltr V8
Caprice.jpeg

This was my WM Caprice.
I'm pretty sure from memory, I just went into the settings on the car (in the WM, the settings menu was on the centre dash) & it was an option to turn it on/off.
I can only imagine the WN would have the same feature.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ahh ok cool. Thank you for the info :)
So for the maybe re-program would that only be if i went for after market alloys you mean? Would staying with HF-20's Holden's genuine accessory alloys not need a reprogram or thats still a maybe too?

Wow 22" NICE!
I take it though to turn off the TPM system thats something that can't be done by your self and needs to be taken to Holden?

You'll have to reprogram the sensors if you change the location on the sensors. IE front right to left.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
With all the cars I've had with TPMS you can reprogram through the menu system yourself without the need to go to a Dealership.

Check your Owner's Manual as it will have a reference to how the system works and what is required when rims and tyres are changed and if necessary, how to reprogram it.

Mine required reprogramming even when just replacing tyres with the same.

BLOWN-WH

Reaction score
Members Ride
View attachment 193071
This was my WM Caprice.
I'm pretty sure from memory, I just went into the settings on the car (in the WM, the settings menu was on the centre dash) & it was an option to turn it on/off.
I can only imagine the WN would have the same feature.
Very neat looking with those alloys! Good match.
To be honest i haven't played around with half the settings in the car as yet but next time I'm in it ill try to have a look through the menus. Thanks.

You'll have to reprogram the sensors if you change the location on the sensors. IE front right to left.
With all the cars I've had with TPMS you can reprogram through the menu system yourself without the need to go to a Dealership.
Check your Owner's Manual as it will have a reference to how the system works and what is required when rims and tyres are changed and if necessary, how to reprogram it.
Mine required reprogramming even when just replacing tyres with the same.

Will be indeed convenient if the need for a reprogramming is required and id be able to do it my self.
Ill def look in the manual next time I'm in the car and so far I've found a clip on Youtube which shows the learning method for the TPM system but that was on a WM Caprice. Really hope the same procedure will work with the WN as well.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
Very neat looking with those alloys! Good match.
To be honest i haven't played around with half the settings in the car as yet but next time I'm in it ill try to have a look through the menus. Thanks.

Will be indeed convenient if the need for a reprogramming is required and id be able to do it my self.
Ill def look in the manual next time I'm in the car and so far I've found a clip on Youtube which shows the learning method for the TPM system but that was on a WM Caprice. Really hope the same procedure will work with the WN as well.

You can do the reprogramming yourself but you need a tool to activate each wheel sensor when in programing mode.

BLOWN-WH

Reaction score
Members Ride
You can do the reprogramming yourself but you need a tool to activate each wheel sensor when in programing mode.
So the VF/WN can't be re-learnt without the tool like the VE/WM can be is what your saying?
The vid i watched of the procedure shows the ignition on then you press both the lock/unlock buttons at the same time which puts the TPMS in learning mode and you go around each tire and deflate it a little until the horn beeps but yeah this was shown on the WM model.