Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Warning lights on and loses power

Melissa

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT HBD
Hi guys

Just driving down the road this morning, all the warning lights come on and then loses all power. I let it rest for a few minutes and try to restart. It restarts, but the oil, battery and I think it was transmission light (the one directly below the C on the temp guage) came on, started to shake / vibrate and dies as soon as I try to move it off the road. The car was running fine until this happened.

Any ideas?

Melissa

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT HBD
Not at all!

My hubby seems to think it's the fuel filter, but how would that make the warning lights come on??

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Not at all!

My hubby seems to think it's the fuel filter, but how would that make the warning lights come on??
That wouldn't make the warning lights come on. I suspect that the oil and battery lights came on because it was shaking due it almost conking out and it wasn't revving high enough to build up oil pressure and also it wasn't turning the alternator fast enough. This is just a guess on my part. The other light you mentioned sounds like the engine warning light and therefore it should have logged a fault (error) code.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-error-codes-vt-vx.23665

Melissa

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT HBD
We're having the car towed home later, so I'll check the codes then. Thanks! :)

I just went back to the car to see if it would start. It wouldn't. Just sounded like it was out of petrol (it's not).

Fingers crossed it's a cheap fix!

Cashman_309

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais
That wouldn't make the warning lights come on. I suspect that the oil and battery lights came on because it was shaking due it almost conking out and it wasn't revving high enough to build up oil pressure and also it wasn't turning the alternator fast enough. This is just a guess on my part. The other light you mentioned sounds like the engine warning light and therefore it should have logged a fault (error) code.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-error-codes-vt-vx.23665

+1 to this. Check the error codes first and report back.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
We're having the car towed home later, so I'll check the codes then. Thanks! :)

I just went back to the car to see if it would start. It wouldn't. Just sounded like it was out of petrol (it's not).

Fingers crossed it's a cheap fix!
Some times the distance to empty reading can play up and be right out. I've run out of fuel a few times with over 140km to go on the meter. It seems to have sorted itself out now.

Melissa

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT HBD
I don't really take much notice of the distance to empty thing. I put fuel in yesterday, there are no leaks and had only driven a few k's, so I know there's enough in it to keep it going for now.

I went back to the car before and the bloody thing started! I didn't even do anything to it. Strange. I'm happy she's back home.

Both the kids are home from school now, so I'll check the error codes tomorrow.

dazzler

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss
same thing happend to my old ute it turned out to be a sensor can rember the name tho