Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Water coming out of exhaust!! need help

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Oh next time I will read post properly before reading. :bop:

235rwkw

Reaction score
Pretender said:
Head gaskets blow in all sorts of places so water in the oil is not always present, and in most cases the car will still run fine, just getting hot through losing coolant. If it blows into the water jacket it can then blow through to the oil which results in the milky mixture.

at least someone here has some idea of what the symptoms are of a leaking head gasket.

correct the gasket can go in any direction. between cylinders, across a coolant hole, to the outside. bluey doesn't understand basic physics.

so you have a hole in you gasket that goes from the water jacket to a piston. what a piston do, its a pump, it pumps pressure on the upstroke, vacumn on the down. Where is the water going ? it gets sucked in on the downstroke and on the upstroke it will pump bubbles into the water jacket. in winter i've seen some bad ones, so bad they are driving car with more steam coming out than a steam train out the exhaust.

the reason to leave the cap off the radiatoir is the coolant system is under pressure when hot, and it gets even hotter than normal with combustion also being pumped into the water as well. if you leave the cap on even more water gets forced through the hole to the cylinder, esp on the downstroke, making the hole evenworse.

yes some of us have been fixing cars for many years.

really the internet is hard to diagnose problems, you can't see the car. if i was looking at the car i'd know for sure what it was.

ps bluey if the cooling system is sealed with no air in it, and no leaks anywhere including the pump. how does cavitation produce bubbles, by magic, suck the o2 out of the water maybe? if the pump had a leak it could suck in air when cold with the motor running. when off or hot the pump will leak so that easy to pick.

Last edited:

samuels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
2Fast2FuriousDude said:
Umm it is possible to have water going to into your cylinders. I have seen myself personally where you check the dipstick and the oil is white mulch where the water has tried mixing with the oil. Also when the car is running, runs like ****, there is absolute amount of steam coming out of the exhaust.

very true...ever seen a rod or piston when pot is full of water,not nice..and that can happen within minutes,so there is no indication of water in oil,coz bang she goes :)

samuels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
blueholden said:
k then dude must be your head gasket dont cheak anything else
you did read everyones opinions didn't you??
we are all here to help,every one has experienced similar problems before,and thats what they have found,so out of the goodness of them they are offering assistance.i'm sure the person with the problem will take all of our opinions into account and check from easy to hard....I.E. checking for the simplest things first before going in willy nilly ripping heads off.

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
I'm going to stay out of the bitch fight starting here but I will say that if there is water getting into the cylinders then getting it fixed sooner rather than later would be good. Getting rust on your piston faces isn't fun or cheap. A friend with a little Daewoo did a head gasket and didn't notice until the car died. Three of the four pistons had to be replaced, so they just ended up doing a full rebuild.

Doesn't matter what engine you've got, that ain't cheap.

Go the pressure test first, and work your way though it from there.

samuels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
mouce said:
I'm going to stay out of the bitch fight starting here but I will say that if there is water getting into the cylinders then getting it fixed sooner rather than later would be good. Getting rust on your piston faces isn't fun or cheap. A friend with a little Daewoo did a head gasket and didn't notice until the car died. Three of the four pistons had to be replaced, so they just ended up doing a full rebuild.

Doesn't matter what engine you've got, that ain't cheap.

Go the pressure test first, and work your way though it from there.
:) ones just as quick as the other ....pressure test or compression test.theoretically pressure test will indicate water loss,but not always in practise,unless i mis read the post,there was no mention of water in pots.now as a general thumb of rule,i think 2fast2furious mentioned this,or maybe even you did,the oil would be turning white to creamy colored if water was entering via bore,(not always though)but it also can enter via inlet manifold,thru the valley.also stated head gaskets can blow any where,and does not necassary mean that the motor will run like a dog.now the problem that was described was bubbles in tank when idling and when hot and even with revs and coolant loss,now they didn't say there was any visible signs of external leak.this bubbling in tank /radiator is consistant with a blown head gasket.now taking steps into rectifying this problem is elimination.OK we agree pressure test is a good starting point,but theres no evidence of external or internal leaks.now from memory they didn't say how their motor was acting...missing ,etc,but a compression test can also come back negative too,it depends on where the gasket is blown.if the water pump was shot,the seal would be leaking and allowing coolant loss to be evident by it dripping from bottom hole,also if water pump bearing was shot you would hear it,so that eliminates the water pump.as for rot in the cooling system there shouldn't be any if coolant has been used in the entire service life of the motor.other things to check is welsh plugs on the V's and check to see if any water is coming from back of motor down thru where the gearbox butts up to motor,indicating welsh plug leakage behind motor.steel plugs and certain brass plugs ARE prone to rot,why just them i don't know,the ethylene glycol maybe reacts more to these ..who knows.
OK heres an easy task..pull out the plugs,if one or maybe 2 have a light to dark greenish tinge on them,this indicates head gasket,but remember what # plug hole you pulled it out of if it has this color,as this is where it is blown between that and the next 2 cylinders...hope this clears some confusion up.
remember we are all here to help.i just made those last 2 remarks as this person stated water in the pots and said we all talked ****.i could of ignored it,but some people need shifting into gear,but even so if the person in concern with their coolant problem didn't take offence,i'm sure he would of appreciated his input...

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
samuels said:
now the problem that was described was bubbles in tank when idling and when hot and even with revs and coolant loss,now they didn't say there was any visible signs of external leak

Actually the orriginal concern was the amount of water coming out of the exhaust. That could indicate a rather large external leak. :hit:

But checking the spark plugs would be a good move. Hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense.

mattis96

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp Commodore
guys thanks for all the advice and i've got around to doing a few things, um i checked the spark plugs and they were only all replaced about a month ago to, but the drivers side ones all looked fine, like they still had that silver look on them, the other side looked dirtier. im not sure what that means.
When i was talking to the guy that usually fixes my car (plus he has been working with cars for like 17 years and owns a radiator shop to) he reckons that i might have just gotten dirty fuel making it blow that funny colour smoke out the exhaust ant the water to and that its probably running to rich to, as i only noticed the problem when i filled it up anyway. even though it was bp ultimate he still thinks it was that.
And as for the bubbles in the radiator he reckons it was just boiling as the fan hadnt turned on yet so thats why it was bubbling, so i'll believe him.

but im still going to get it checked with the pressure test thing to as i dont really wanna take any chances.

someone also said about how the car was running, it is still running fine like it use to, not rough or anything but i have been taking it easier now anyway just in case

samuels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
mattis96 said:
guys thanks for all the advice and i've got around to doing a few things, um i checked the spark plugs and they were only all replaced about a month ago to, but the drivers side ones all looked fine, like they still had that silver look on them, the other side looked dirtier. im not sure what that means.
When i was talking to the guy that usually fixes my car (plus he has been working with cars for like 17 years and owns a radiator shop to) he reckons that i might have just gotten dirty fuel making it blow that funny colour smoke out the exhaust ant the water to and that its probably running to rich to, as i only noticed the problem when i filled it up anyway. even though it was bp ultimate he still thinks it was that.
And as for the bubbles in the radiator he reckons it was just boiling as the fan hadnt turned on yet so thats why it was bubbling, so i'll believe him.

but im still going to get it checked with the pressure test thing to as i dont really wanna take any chances.

someone also said about how the car was running, it is still running fine like it use to, not rough or anything but i have been taking it easier now anyway just in case

if you had diry fuel,best to change your fuel filter,but i highly doubt that was your problem,you only run into problems with fuel when they change the octane rating twice a a year,they change it for summer and winter.the only way your car would be running rich is if someones fiddled with something on the fuel side of things,or your ECM is not standard and it's telling your EFI module to run richerOR your ECM is on it's way out....the bubbling in your tank is NOT normal regardless of fan kicking in or not....is it pure water thats coming out of your exhaust? does it jet out or does it just dribble like to the ground? if it's not jetting out,and it's not dribbling out at a fast rate,then i'd just say that side of things is condensation from your muffler and resonator,perfectly normal,you can be driving it all day,then when you re-start next morning,the condensation is back....all to do with the heat and cooling down process.how much coolant are you losing?...any?