Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Water leak front passenger door??

Tiger28

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Exec
Hi there people I have a water leak in my vy coming into the car from the bottom of the pillar of the front passenger door it leaks from the plastic at the bottom on to the carpet.My brother has the same problem with his vy and he told me it is a common problem any thoughts ?? Thanks

caaf

Reaction score
Website
www.aurfscan.com.au
Members Ride
VYII Equipe S/wagon V6
Yep had the same.. windscreen sealant failure bottom dripping onto the ECU

sp001in

vyma100
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
yeah, can be bad window sealant, BUT if the windscreen is still original HIGHLY unlikely.

normally the water comes from the passenger door seal.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
I have not experienced water getting onto the carpet on the passenger front door side. However whenever I wash the car there is some water lying on the grey plastic scuff plate that runs along the bottom of the front passenger door aperture of the car body.

This has been happening since the car was brand new, is not getting any worse and does not occur on the driver's side except very occasionally and with much less water build up. Obviously the door seals are not good enough on the pax side as no water should get that far. I would imagine that if it was bad enough, water could flow over the scuff plate and down to the carpet which is what I suspect could be happening on TIGER's car.

Frankly I don't think any of the seals on the VY doors are that good and I would be having a good look at them on the passenger side, both around the door and on the body surrounds for that door.

If there has been any smash repair done on the passenger door at any time I would be having a close inspection of the door fit as well as all the door seals themselves. Sloppy panel fit and adjustments after smash repairs can be a cause of water leaks as can sloppy rubber seal replacement.

You should run a hose on and around all the front pax door gaps for a few minutes without letting the water flow onto the windscreen or on frontal areas immediately below the windscreen. (Wipe it off immediately if it does as it's hard to avoid). Then check for water penetration. If you find water on the scuff plate and carpet you will know it is coming in around the door.

Unless you run a few elimination tests on your car it could be hard to find the faulty area.

evl55

evl55
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute
it very well could be the windscreen, i worked as a windscreen fitter for over 7 yrs and came across this problem a few times. the glue tends to let go at the bottom corner where the silicone is used to seal the paneles there(firewall). when looking at it, it look lke the water needs to run up which is kinda impossible but, by removing and refitting the screen the problem is fixed. well that is my experience with it anyway. and it doesnt matter if its the original screen or not, but it happened wit original screens more often

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
Mine went back to holden for a similar issue a couple of times, was nothing to do with windscreen in the end, it was the plastic liner behind the door trim. It either had come loose or holes in it and water came in at the bottom of the door and over the sill.