Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

weight difference

Apeman69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II Commodore
oops soz...........

Bent_6

3/4motorsport
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S1 Acclaim V6/ VS SII Acclaim V6
That would account for my saggy heavy doors! lol

Isn't 40 kgs really just a small percentage of the overall weight we are talking about anyway? I mean the car is one and a half tonne. Its not like ten percent of the weight, it's like a kid in the back seat. I can't feel that kind of weight difference in my car, when driving!

It would be interesting to know where the 40 kgs is located. If it is small components that its all over but it is a t the front or rear than that may affect the handling...

Yes you are right there mate, 40kgs isnt that much.
The main issue that was taken at the time of the VT's release was the 100kgs it was heavier than the superseeded VS model.
I can definately feel the difference between my VT1 and a VS, but then again the VT feels like you have a car around you, the VS still feels like a go-kart with doors.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
VT feels alot more sturdy too... well I have a WH but same sh!t (same kit as VT II).

I've owned two VS'es .. and now the WH. For one the WH stops a hell of a lot better... the difference the 2pots make is amazing. Considering the WH is about 200kg's heavier than a VS and stops a whole lot quicker even before ABS comes into it (one VS had ABS the other didn't, locked it up in one but have never needed ABS).

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
They used smaller components in some areas which reduced the weight and removed some unneccessary gear which does not come down to build quality.

If you drive a VX and then drive a VT, you can tell which is better built. It takes ALOT of sound proofing and even glass thickness to make up 40kg, and sound proofing is something you would notice, and a VX is just as quiet as a VT.

I just dislike putting it down to 'build quality' when a VX has a higher standard of build quality than a VT.

Totally agree with that one. I have owned (Company provided cars) a VT, VX and VY all from new. Each car was better than it's predecessor, particularly in the areas of fit/finish, squeaks and rattles and body stiffness.

Argue what you like in terms of styling but in terms of build quality the cars markedly improved over the life of that series. (Not to say they didn't still have their problems even at the end.)

Reaper

Bent_6

3/4motorsport
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S1 Acclaim V6/ VS SII Acclaim V6
Totally agree with that one. I have owned (Company provided cars) a VT, VX and VY all from new. Each car was better than it's predecessor, particularly in the areas of fit/finish, squeaks and rattles and body stiffness.

Argue what you like in terms of styling but in terms of build quality the cars markedly improved over the life of that series. (Not to say they didn't still have their problems even at the end.)

Reaper

Well you would want to think so hey.
I'd be spewing if i traded my S1 VT on a S2 VY and found it no better in build quality considering its 5 or 6 yrs further advanced.
Thats like asking which model is the best, some would argue styling cues but in theory the latest model should be an improvement on the former and so on right back to VB.
Even the AU Falcon although as ugly as they come is a far better car than an EL in terms of reliability and build quality yet is often passed off as Fords worst by people ho only consider styling as the basis of their comments.