Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Weird clicking noise..

Lloydy1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Hey guys, first time poster.. Recently found this website and it looks like the place to go!

I have a VR Executive and ive got a weird clicking noise comming from my engine, its on the top of the engine and at the back..

I really have no idea what it would be, im not that great with cars but i am trying to learn as much as possible lol

i also have a weird like whistling noise comming from one of the pulleys it sounds like but again im not sure what it could be..

I recently changed my idle pulley as that was making a weird noise also as if the ball bearing has gone inside it.. So im guessing it wouldnt be the idle pulley..

Any thought or suggestions on either of my problems would be much appreciated..

Cheers

Last edited:

BOOZTJUNKEY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
injectors pulsing will click or tick...

or

tappet or valve noise...

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
do the old garden-hose-stethoscope trick and see if you can work out more accurately where it might be coming from. Could be exhaust manifold......

Lloydy1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
So if its the injectors doing it is there any way i can fix it? Same goes with the vavle or tappet that is making the noise?

I cant say im farmilular with the garden hose scope thingo, lol i wouldnt know where to start.. Lol

i have another question (sorry to be a pain) but when i turn my car off the hole engine shakes and turns off, its not like a clean turn off if thay makes sence, lol
anyone know what could be the problem?

Sgt Santa Cruz

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Statesman
Sounds like the bearings on the balancer shaft. it is a weighted shaft that runs through the valley on commodore v6's to counter excess vibrations from the firing order or something like that. very common problem but not to much to worry about unless it really annoys you

Lloydy1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Its fair annoying lol, am i able to just tighten them? Easy to get to or a pain in the ass?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I cant say im farmilular with the garden hose scope thingo, lol i wouldnt know where to start.. Lol

Grab a piece of hose, stick one end in your ear, and use the other end to single out the source of the sound.:thumbsup:

Chris E

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive 3.8
If you can hear it while your driving I'd think it is the exhaust leaking somewhere. Mine did it before it cracked, and its starting to do it again as its starting to break again.

Depends how loud it is and does it increase with rpm?

Lloydy1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Ok ill try that thing with the hose sometime tomorrow..

The clicking noise i cnt hear that much while im in the car and it stays at the same noise with higher rpm's

this whistling type noise gets louder as the revs go up, i can hear it if im in the car with no radio on..

A crack in the exhaust pipe? Whats the best way to check that out? Jst go from one end to the other and look over the exhaust?

Sgt Santa Cruz

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Statesman
The bearings on the balancers shaft nah you cant get em unless you take the valley and timing cover its not worth it. if theres a crack in the exhaust manifold it would sound like a truck and have a an obvious sign on the manifolds