Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Weird metallic Rattling noise while driving

Coastie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt acclaim v6
Hey all

I brought a vt commodore, with a few minor issues. Need to get some advice. When I drive the Car on a straight or left hand bend, I hear a metallic rattle. When on a right hand bend the noise is not there. Also not occurring if not moving. The best way I can describe the sound is it sounds like an aluminum can being pulled along the road (very faintly.)

Anybody have a clue what it could be? Going to visit a mechanic and need to ensure I'm not getting suckered in.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Sounds like the sway bar link pins. The bushes wear and the washers rattle.

JRNZER

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hyundai i30 N-Line
I get the same in my VX.
If the front passengers window is down while driving you can hear it quite clearly from the front left wheel.

Jarrad

Sherminator
Reaction score
Members Ride
Silver Ex Cop VX Wagon
Hey Guys, any ideas on a price to get this fixed, I think my VX has the same problem???

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
For the op and S1 VT's $20 plus postage. If you live in Sydney, picku is available
Holden Commodore VN,VP,VR,VS,VT-1 Sway Bar Link Pin Kit | eBay

For the VX's and series 2 VT's $25 plus postage
VT VX link pin kit | eBay

I put a set of series1 link pins in my VT and could not belive the difference in steering and lack of front end noise...of course my link pin bushes were knackered and the retaining nuts looked like mushroom tops.

VL-VP-VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Statesman GEN III
I had a similar problem, but with knowing it was not the link rod bushes (recently replaced them) I couldn't work out where this rattle was coming from, took months of listening and the frustration of the tinny rattle noise. I decided to check the brakes (not previously done, because it was only a few months prior that I had replaced the pads) any way while the brakes looked normal while attempting to put the wheel back on, I bumped the metal guard that protects the rotor and it rattled, one of the rivets had broken on the metal guard ans was rattling around, I drilled the broken rivet out and put a new one in, it never rattled again. this was the fix to my problem.

normie666

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Vt Series 2 Olympic Edition
I have a similar problem. The odd occasion it sounds like a metal can is rolling around the back of the car. it will be there for a few corners then it disappears :/ any ideas?

])R@G()N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
dose it stop if you put your foot on the brake? sometimes the brake pads can rattle, especially if pads are worn a fair bit down.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Sometimes the cat can break up making a metallic rattling sound. Get under the car and bang the cat and see if it rattles.

NV-MY-VT

Sleeper Builder
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2000 Olympic Edition
Sometimes the cat can break up making a metallic rattling sound. Get under the car and bang the cat and see if it rattles.

**** mate, if I hit my cat, I'm sure he would rattle. He might even hiss at me and scratch me too... Not to mention what would happen if anyone saw my banging my cat under the car....