Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Weird misfire; can't seem to diagnose

James_W

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VH 304 EFI
Car randomly misfires, only happens when under load however if I put it under load first and stop it I'll get some misfires at idle - eventually calms down and is driveable for 30 seconds before it starts misfiring again. Engine light also comes on after few too many misfires whilst driving and sometimes the car stops revving completely even when I press the accelerator and just stalls.

Specifications:
VX SS S1 Manual LS1
Heads
Cam
Intake
Underdrive pulley
3.9 gears
Lightened flywheel

Done so far (by both me and my mechanic):
-New spark plugs x2 (apparently I got the wrong ones the first time)
-New Ignition Leads x2 (mechanic said the new ones I got were "shithouse" so returned old ones and used their ones)
-Compression test x2 (by both me and mechanic)
-Did an inline spark test and came back good (test was only at idle)
-Replaced one of the coilpacks (as a troubleshooting measure before bringing to my mechanioc)

I should note that after both spark plug changes my spark plug comes back out wet (the other ones are all good)

Here is the video of it occurring after stopping the car (happens ones or twice after stopping the car from driving and then it's good to go again):

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

James_W

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VH 304 EFI
Oil or fuel? If fuel then its a spark issue. Maybe ignition module.
Thanks Trevor. I already replaced the whole coil pack on the side of the wet spark plug. I think it was fuel but I really couldn't tell tell because of how black it was. I pulled it out again today and it seemed fine.

I ended up dropping the car off to the mechanic again who believes it's a crank position sensor wiring and is going to replace it for me and give another test. Fingers crossed!