Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

weird pulley noise coming from front of engine

muney

On Da West Side
Reaction score
Members Ride
SVZ wagon
hey guys,

i gotta VT V6 and when the engine is running i get a weird whining noise (like a supercharger noise) coming from either the middle pulley or the one above it on the LHS..ive tried spraying WD 40 on it but no go..went a bit quieter but is still there..anyone have any idea on what it is..and does anyone have a schematic drawing of all the pulleys on the front of the engine and what pulleys are what??
that would help me track the problem down somewhat

hsvpgts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II V6 Berlina
you could pull belt off and spin pulleys by hand and listen for noisy pulley or use a long screwdriver whilst car runing as a stethescope to listen (be careful if doing it this way).

Wrayza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
I have a similiar noise and I'm told its the alternator, field coils or something.

Jamsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
TBA
Mate had same problem in his VS... was one of the wheels the Belt uses. The bearings had screwed up so he got a new wheel and its all good now. Dont think it cost him much at all to fix.

ciaranvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Exec.
haha i was about to post about the same thing...

i'm about to get it serviced, so if they mysteriously try to force a new water pump on me i'll suggest the belt tensioner.

although having had a good listen to the engine it does sound like its coming from the alternator, like the shaft or the bearings or something.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
haha i was about to post about the same thing...

i'm about to get it serviced, so if they mysteriously try to force a new water pump on me i'll suggest the belt tensioner.

although having had a good listen to the engine it does sound like its coming from the alternator, like the shaft or the bearings or something.

when i was at work experience on the same day the had two vs wagons there one having a tensioner and the other having a pump....

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It's probably the tensioner, because its so close to the alternator it may sound like its coming from there. Try wiggling the tensioner pulley with the engine off to see if there is more than about 5mm of movement.

muney

On Da West Side
Reaction score
Members Ride
SVZ wagon
can someone give me an idea on how to change the tensioner idler??i know how to take it off by taking the belt off..is it simply just a matter of screwing out the old and in with the new??

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
can someone give me an idea on how to change the tensioner idler??i know how to take it off by taking the belt off..is it simply just a matter of screwing out the old and in with the new??
Yes, except the centre bolt is left hand thread.
About $30 - $40 from most places, perhaps a little more from Holden.