Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Weird rpm at 100 kph

Shaneus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I have a stock VS Berlina, and normal rpm at 100kph is 1750rpm, now when I go down a hill at 100kph i found my car stays on 1250 for a second then to 1500, then back to 1250 ect. It keeps my car from going over 100 down a hill, but if I accelerate over 105 the problem goes away and the car speeds up down the hill.

I have only just noticed it happening, has anyone else seen or herd anything like this before.

If you need more information just ask, or you need clarity on something I have said.

Thank-you

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
could possibly be that it's unlocking the converter and lets the engine return to idle so that it coasts down the hill and consumes less fuel. i have noticed something similar in the missus VS but it behaves normally so was never concerned with it

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
Was going to mention the converter locking and unlocking but ya beat me to it immortality.

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
Is there a way to actually replace the torque converter? I know it just falls out pretty easy. Don't think it can be serviced but maybe replaced? Although if there was a tranny at the wreckers then chances are that the converter is cactus.
What do they do with the recon ones? And is there a way to slash the $1500 dollar mark by just replacing the converter?

Cheers

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
you can replace a converter and they can be serviced, jsut that they gotta cut it to do it and then reweld it. not a cheap option. you should be able to get a replacement however. no idea on prices however

the converter locking and unlocking is normal, it's controlled by the PCM to gain max fuel economy depending on load/rpm/road speed etc

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
Yeah well when I coast down a hill at around 95km-70km the revs jump up and down around 1500rpm, so is this a converter problem or is it a bad earth or something?
Thinking more towards a converter problem...also it slips abit in 3rd.
And the power button does nothing at all with this issue.
Yeah it would be a pain to fix if the converter is my problem, because it's welded. Probably cheaper getting a replacement tranny later, from the Quokka maybe...