Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Well done that guy. GoPro on helmets win

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
I don't stick anything on my helmets because adhesives can degrade foam. I can't see any harm in attaching a camera to your bike, jacket or the like.

Ever put super glue onto a piece of foam? Most glues will destroy and dissolve foam in no time and helmet manufacturers caution strongly against doing so. I think that's what it's more about and possibly mounting hardware punching through the helmet itself in a crash.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
If you have a helmet without an outer shell and therefore are applying anything directly to the foam, then you don't have an ADR compliant helmet.

Absolutely agree with Calaber on this. Nanny state bullshit! Laws should cater to the highest common denominator, not the lowest one. Let natural selection take it's course. People too stupid to work out what is and isn't common sense don't deserve the protection of laws just for them. And the rest of us shouldn't then be forced to be subject to them!

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I I think that's what it's more about and possibly mounting hardware punching through the helmet itself in a crash.

Obviously, this is the point behind legislation prohibiting the fitment of items to the exterior of safety helmets, but again, if a rational adult chooses to take this action (and understands the risks involved), why is it that "big brother" sticks his nose in and says you can't?

NSW is becoming THE nanny state of the nation. Some of the latest ideas coming out of Macquarie Street make me wonder if the government thinks it's looking after a community composed entirely of children and irresponsible idiots. Here's another example, though unrelated to this thread. It's in today's Daily Telegraph. I'm hopeless at posting internet references so bear with me.

A bloke who has been habitually dining at a North Sydney Pub for many years, and acting responsibly during that time, recently had a double knee replacement. As a result, he's pretty wobbly getting around and rising from a chair is particularly awkward.

He recently had a meal at that pub but was spotted by one of the security blokes as he tried to rise from his chair. The security goon assumed he had drunk too much and directed him to leave the pub. The customer argued the point and explained why he had such difficulty rising from his seat, but was ignored. End of his habit of dining there after many years. All because the laws in this state are so restrictive about excessive consumption of alcohol, which leads to mistakes in judgement like the security bloke demonstrated.

I know that drunkenness causes many social problems across the nation and we have a culture problem with booze, but the lack of common sense in this case makes a mockery of stringent laws that allow little or no leeway.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
well dont mount it on the helmet if you are too worried.. this is a much better view anyway... [video]https://www.facebook.com/hondamotocrosshrc/videos/1044359035584994/[/video]

SaUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SSV ute
I have had a go pro on my helmet for years and never had a problem.
BTW,it was also illegal to have a GPS on a bike in S.A until recently but no one ever bothered with that either.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
I don't stick anything on my helmets because adhesives can degrade foam. I can't see any harm in attaching a camera to your bike, jacket or the like.

If you have a helmet without an outer shell and therefore are applying anything directly to the foam, then you don't have an ADR compliant helmet.

This.

If the police are worried that a cable tied/glued/otherwise attached camera is going to impact the integrity of the helmet. I would have worries about why the helmet was on the market in the first place.

If the helmet is going to break because a camera has been attached, how on earth is it going to survive a hit to the concrete?

It was a ridiculous decision, however, this case does NOT change the law or make it ok for cameras to be attached. Its simply a bloke getting out of a fine.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Wasn't there an issue with the camera on Michael Schumacher's helmet causing it to fail?
Helmets are designed with one purpose, to help prevent head injuries.
Not for making movies.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Did Michael Schumacher

Giro’s Eric Richter said: “We studied this issue thoroughly, including significant testing at our in-house DOME test lab with both Go-Pro and Contour units. Our mounts cause no significant additional loads for the neck nor brain rotation due to well designed breakaway features.”

Michael Grim of Specialized said: “We believe that a good GoPro mount should “break away” in an impact. We think this is the main thing. There is still risk that the camera could still cause injury, but not worse than rocks, eyewear, etc.
- See more at: Did Michael Schumacher

A camera mount is thin, crappy plastic that breaks if it touches a hard surface.

Again, if a helmet is so compromised due to a plastic object that is not designed to be durable, I have significant doubts that the helmet would save you in the event of a crash anyway.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Back when helmet cams were invented, they didn't seem to be the focus of people's attention.

gopro-1960s-stewart-02.jpg

These days it's just a combination of nanny state and modern sensationalism. Nothing more.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
you do have to remember that for a helmet to pass the safety standards they are tested in an unmodified form to standardised tests (although some of these tests can be considered prehistoric by some)
some helmets do come with inbuilt mounts which pass these tests.

that's the argument against the camera.
you have modified it to something that has not been complianced and therefore technically becomes non compliant.

just read the safety warnings that come with a helmet and it was stated that it is designed to not add anything or modify it. and will probably say to wash in soapy water only.
this is due to the potential of chemicals causing damage to the original specs it was tested to.
and its also a rear end covering exercise so you don't seek legal action against the manufacturer. same reason why so many warning signs are out there

but still agree that you should take the risk into your own hands.
if you mount it and crash and whatever then you didn't follow the manufacturers specs then stiff. its your problem as you did not follow the guidelines.