Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

welsh plug

JSTPOZN

S.A. The Defect State
Reaction score
Members Ride
Air Bagged VR Calais, VLCT RB20, VLCT EFI V8 Turbo
you'd have to give it a few decents hits dont damage the block obviously

but line it up on the actual welsh plug and push it in.. it should turn and easy to pull out..

can i ask why your not going to do them all. cause it will put mroe pressure on there if they were leaking and now sealed it will make another leak

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
i am not doing all of them cos i am a bit lazy. well that and i have been spending a lot of time on my car lately and to be honest i just want to take it for a couple of little drives. i drive my work ute during the week anyways so i don't use the car much. i just want to finally be able to drive my car now it is turboed and intercooled.. but i think i will pull the motor out and do the rear main seal at some stage so i will do them all then..
it is funny. i was looking at a motor i got in a bit of a trade for another motor and the bloke who owned the motor doesn't do any work himself, and i see he has only some welsh plugs replaced. i gotta say i would be ****ty if i took my car somewhere for a couple of welsh plugs and they didn't do them all..
i have two other cars i really want to work on also, so i want my commodore drivable so i can get back to them.. one has been on jack stands for over 6 months and is looking sad so i gotta get back to it..
if i do anymore i will pull this thread up again so ya can so ya told me so.. hahaha

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
well jstpozn you can now say you told me so. i have done a welsh plug at the back of the motor where belhousing covers up. so i am now in the process of pulling the motor out. i might go out soon and finish doing it. i un did all the bolts and stuff this morning just gotta undo the loom and pull it out now..

m62vpute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP MANUAL S/C 3.8 UTE
:p Told you so :p

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
yes you did too... ha ha ha.. oh well. the motor is out now and all but the two welsh plugs i have replaced are out now. the two in the left were not leaking but one was soft. 4 out of the 6 in the block were fvkced. so yeah you all cursed me damn it.. but i am now glad the motor is out so i can replace the sump gasket and also hammer the sump out flat as it has a big dent in it..
and there is 2 each side of the block not 3 like i said and there is two behind the bell housing

JSTPOZN

S.A. The Defect State
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah man.

Once one goes and you dont fix it it puts more pressure on the others. Something i just regently picked up when learning engine re-builds.

Thats the problem with engines.. You cant just do 1 thing and leave another most of the time it all needs to be done together...

But anyways I wouldnt have thought it would have gone this fast thou

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
me either. i thought i would get a few months out of the others. i can't believe how much they were just hanging on by.. nearly nothing.. but anwyays. live and learn

redvr

adam
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
has anyone done a welsh plug on the back of the right head. what i was wanting to know, is, if it is easy enough to replace without pulling the head off or the motor out. as i really don't feel line doing that right now. my car has been off the road for a month and a half now while i have been doing my turbo conversion and i want to start driving it again..
i am in two minds about it all. well 3 to be honest. either pull the motor out and do the welsh plug and the rear main while it is out, pull both heads off and get them ported a little. or just see if i can do the plug while the motor is in the car. there looks to be a little room but not too much..
any ideas let me know..

i just did that plug last night it look about an hour in car!!
if its the passanger side head you can do it in car!
all you need to do is take off the induction pipe and throttle cable and use a hammer to start with uyou cant swing it much but enough to get it.
then when its flush you use a socket and rapped in a rag to hold it in and tap it in the rest of the way.. and your done!!!

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
ya can get to all the welsh plugs on the motor except for the two on teh back of the two on the back of the motor. you either have to take the motor out or take the gearbox out.. i did all mine is about 20 mins with the motor out. i also did my rear main seal, which i am very glad i did as it was completly fvkced. the welsh plugs on the passenger side are a piece of piss when the motor is in the car. the drivers side back one is very hard. i did that one the other day while the motor was in the car..
but anyways it is all done now, and hopefully the motor should be in tomorrow morning..
and to all those people who told me so.. yes, you were right and next time i might listen a little better.. lol

JSTPOZN

S.A. The Defect State
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah but remember there are many ppl that wouldnt know whats what and just comment on it.. the only reason i saidsomething is when i went and got mine i was told not to do just a couple and im thinkin hes sayin it to sell me more... but yeah i asked ppl and found out thats the go... Did you get brass plugs?

atleast now you know there all done aye