Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WH Caprice Interior Automatic Tinting Mirror

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
My existing mirror appears to have the liquid crystal filling up the lower portion of the glass.
The mirror doesn't seam to work (no surprises there) but hasn't appeared to work since owning the car..

Anyway, I bought a used mirror and want to test it to see it work before swapping.

1.. How do you test the mirror?
Plug it in, wait till dark (or cover the front sensor) and shine a torch at the rear sensor?
Is there a method?
My Max Ellery workshop manual says nothing.

2.. How do you remove & install?
Does the glue bond need to be broken and the replacement reglued?
..or can the mirror be unscrewed or unclipped from it's stalk?
Again.. The workshop manual says nothing..

Any information appreciated.

Also, the replacement I bought is what I call "fair" in it's condition.
Anyone with a nice one that is known to be working, please feel free to contact me via PM. :)
Thanks.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Mirror should slide off a clip in the glass. Then unplug a cable loom from the rear of the mirror.
Just push up I think to unclip the mirror, not much force is needed, if you break the clip in the glass, you'll have to do a dodgy glue job or have your windscreen replaced.

To test, just shine your LED "flash" off your phone at the mirror, while its parked in the garage. (with headlights on)

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
GET IT OUT OF THE CAR. ASAP!!!

I say this with some urgency because if the liquid in the mirror drips onto the console or leaks out of the mirror (as they do) it will eat through plastic like butter, and ruin anything below it (console, wood grain, stereo face, etc) The liquid crystal is very acidic (or alkaline, can't remember which) and its like a thick oil that smears and just ruins everything and is horrendous to try and wipe up. Its awful stuff and won't come off with water.
There are plenty of people who have come out to their car in the morning to find a mess where the liquid crystal has ruined a console or trim piece or AC/radio face or something.

The mirror can't be serviced. The glass is made of two pieces on top of each other and the liquid injected between and then sealed off in a vacuum. If the liquid has pooled or moved in the lens it means the seal is broken and air has got between the glass pieces, so it will leak and cause a disaster.

Best thing to do is pry the mirror casing apart at the seam and you will see that the glass can be unplugged from the electronics electrically, and you can go get a new piece of glass and fit it. Or just get a whole other mirror, whatever is easier for you.

To get the mirror off the windscreen, remove the plastic trim piece that covers the mirror stem and wiring harness leading into the back of the mirror. Then very gently slide the mirror off the base that is glued to the windscreen. Do NOT apply too much force or you may crack your windscreen and don't do it when the windscreen is stone cold, or it may break easier. Try to do the mirror removal in the sun.

There is a 4 pin electrical connector on the back of the mirror, this will need to be unplugged as well.

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
Thanks Stockies, that worked easy with a small flat blade screwdriver to help tilt it down and un-lock it from the mounting wedge, then slide it back off..
Looks like the used mirror I bought is not working, so I'll be in touch with the seller on that.

Thanks also WH-HBD, and for the heads up re the LCD stuff. Sounds like nasty stuff..

Still hoping for a good working used before I lash out on a newbie at GMH..

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
I know all this because I retrofitted an HSV Senator electrochromatic mirror (the one with the handy little map lights on the bottom edge of it) into my WH Caprice. I had your type of mirror apart on the bench, and the Senator mirror apart on the bench and did some glass swapping and guts transfer to get the Senator mirror working.

I managed to disturb the LCD liquid seal on an unwanted normal mirror like yours Steve, and the LCD stuff was horrendous. It ate through things. Then I googled and found they spontaneously leak (sometimes overnight) in the car and can splash onto leather seats from the dripping, and ruin all sorts of stuff.. its an educational process :p

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
Thanks again.. :)
I just ordered one from my local dealer.
Surprisingly we are cheaper than the USA (Pontiac GTO) for a change..
The part number is 10277770 for anyone interested, and around ~AU$230 (incl GST).
The dealer had to order ex-GMH and it didn't sound like they had many left..

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
I fitted the new one just now, and I found that it works with or without the headlamps being on/off.
During the day, if you cover the forward facing sensor (with ignition on), the mirror will immediately tint as the rear sensor sees ambient daylight, and it will tint. No need for a torch/LED unless it's after dark.

So, that's the easy test. ;)

The mirror automatically switches off when reverse is selected, which is pointed out in the owner's manual.

Thanks again guys. :)