Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WH statesman/caprice bobtail spoiler

Caprice383

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Hi

Just trying to source a bobtail/ bootlid spoiler for my caprice. The same that came out on the internationals.

Does anyone know where to get these from, rough price and how easy/hard they are to install ?

Thanks

Last edited:

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
Self serve wreckers?
Here I can buy a whole trunk lid for about $100 (less garnish). You can swap the whole lid or just the spoiler, but be aware the spoilers might be glued on with a polyurethane or bitumen type sealant as well as fastened (to stop water entering the trunk).
You might even get the right color and not need to paint it.
Pretty common on most WHs.

Easy to install if you have the right tools. The proper sheet metal step drill bit is essential. aka Irwin Unibit.

Same as? (Pardon the filth. :p)

PCPzgQ.jpg

Caprice383

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Yep that is the one I am after. Haven't had any luck with wreckers here.

Is yours screwed on as well as glued? How and where are the screws located?

Do you think just sticking it down with sikaflex would be sufficient?

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
I can't remember exactly, but a while ago my Statesman had the spoiler removed for a repair (big f-ing hail stone) and after the panel shop reinstalled it, the trunk leaked. They didn't seal it properly. A real amateur mistake if you had have seen it..
So, rather than root around and arrange to leave the car with them for another day or two so they could fix their f-up, I just did it myself.
From memory..
If you remove the inner trim, you should see keps nuts on studs. There's probably about 1/2 dozen. The studs mount into the spoiler and the nuts fasten the spoiler to the lid. You need to apply a small bead of sealant around each stud on the outer surface.

I guess you could use just Sika polyurethane to bond the lid in place, but it would need plenty of time to cure before you drove it. And personally, I know that stuff is really strong **** (I know because I caulk concrete pre-cast panels with it all day), but I still wouldn't feel comfortable relying on just the poly..
Have you ever peel a sticker of a painted surface and taken the paint off with it?
So, the Sika is only as strong as the paint's adhesion to the panel. I wouldn't. :)

Seriously, if you get a wax/chinagraph pencil from an art shop and mark it out properly and drill your holes one at a time and check and recheck each one before drilling the next, you'll be fine.
Otherwise a panel shop could do it for you. Shop around, the job is easy and should only take a couple of hours for a professional taking his time.

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
Have you tried a new one from GMH? Might even come with a paper template..
Dealers were fitting them all the time.

Caprice383

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
thanks for the info mate.

reckon i will drill it in to secure it properly.

haven't tried holden yet, just assumed it would be some ridiculous price like most of their other ****. tired them for a badge a while back and they don't make them anymore as the car is 12 years old.

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
Some Holden parts prices are nothing short of outragous (LS engine parts are insane), but then some are great value and better and cheaper than the aftermarket.
I always call them for a price on any part. I don't mind spending a little bit more for the Holden part. and more often than not, I find myself buying genuine.

Last edited:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
thanks for the info mate.

reckon i will drill it in to secure it properly.

haven't tried holden yet, just assumed it would be some ridiculous price like most of their other ****. tired them for a badge a while back and they don't make them anymore as the car is 12 years old.
I know often Holden prices seem ridiculous but every now and then you can be pleasantly surprised. Like the other day, I bought a brake master cylinder reservoir and it was only $14.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
mate sealer alone will not hold it, you need to bolt it down.. the bolts will be on the spoiler / go thru the boot lid / then bolted on. put sealer in between for flex and to seal.

When I put an Evo 4 rear wing on a P10 Primera boot lid a few years ago, I lined it up where I wanted it, marked it, then put paint on the bolt ends and lined it up again.. paint marked where to drill

then again I had to drill 4 million holes to mount that sucker.. just watch your gas struts that hold your boot up.. I didn't and drilled thru both sides haha..

4085558328_27575298e0.jpg

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
I actually have the drilling template for this spoiler I think. It came to me in the huuuuuge service information pack sent to me by Accent Stencil. If you PM me your email address I can send it to anyone who needs it?