Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WH Statesman Wiring?!?

gordo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman Blown
Hi all,

ive just purchased a new kenwood head deck from the US and have a few questions before i install it, firstly its a Kenwood DPX503, now I know a fair bit about car audio installs but i've never done a holden before. I've also bought a wiring harness adapter to make it easier, but what i want to know is, can i install this head deck and still be able to use my stock WH 8" subs and amp? also the unit claims to be compatible with steering wheel controls and has one output wire for this but is this holden compatible? and can i still be able to use my electric antenna?

Thanks Heaps!! :yeah::yeah:

I've also attached a pic showing the steering wheel control wire

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Hi mate, you should be able to use this head-unit with the stock amp/sub....you'll just have to find out what wires etc are used for the audio input on the stock amplifier.

I would imagine to be able to use your factory steering wheel controls but you will need to purchase a steering wheel interface kit.

Just out of curiosity, dosent the US have a different FM/AM frequency band or is that Japan? As long as the frequency band is like 88-108 or something then you should be OK.

gordo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman Blown
Thanks for the reply, :thumbsup:

It should work fine as the US is: 94 - 108 MHz, when you say input for the amp, do u mean wires as in stereo wires? so then i will need to convert them to rca and plug them into the new deck right?

Thanks

bigfut

Ve Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Omega
I got a pioneer unit from the states once, it needed a band expander, as it only did odd frequencies. (ie 99.3 but wouldnt do 99.2fm)

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yeah mate you just need to find out which wires were used for the input.....not too sure whether they used RCAs or speaker level inputs (my guess is the speaker).

I think you'll find our stations are all odd frequencies anyway (well they are around here).

gordo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman Blown
thanks for all the replies, hopefully i should be alright :) (fingers crossed):thumbsup:

quba_06

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
hey ive got a wh statesman 2, i wanted to change my headunit but keep the original speakers. i bought a headunit from jb hi fi and whent to get them 2 install it but the guy said he couldnt connect it to the factory amp becasue of the ohms or some ****. can some 1 please help me?