Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What a disaster - House Acrylic Roof Sealant on my VE

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

peterrobo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Calais 190kw
If I were you I'd first try turps (turpentine) on the windows to see if it lifts the acrylic sealer. From my experience, turps works very effectively on acrylic paint removal even though the acrylic paints are water based. Turps will definitely NOT affect the two pack paint on your car as it's a lower level volatility than either thinners (which I'd certainly not use) or prepsol (which is really a last resort for a whole-car application). Turps certainly won't affect the glass that's why I'm suggesting starting there as a test. If that works then pick an inconspicuous painted portion of your vehicle - under the bonnet would be good - and rub some turps on there just to satisfy yourself that it won't damaged the paint finish. I'd certainly keep metho away from the paint as it will react similar to brake fluid and turn the clear coat white. Don't try anything like acetone because that's too high a volatility as well. Best of luck

doccortex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SS Sedan
If I were you I'd first try turps (turpentine) on the windows to see if it lifts the acrylic sealer. From my experience, turps works very effectively on acrylic paint removal even though the acrylic paints are water based. Turps will definitely NOT affect the two pack paint on your car as it's a lower level volatility than either thinners (which I'd certainly not use) or prepsol (which is really a last resort for a whole-car application). Turps certainly won't affect the glass that's why I'm suggesting starting there as a test. If that works then pick an inconspicuous painted portion of your vehicle - under the bonnet would be good - and rub some turps on there just to satisfy yourself that it won't damaged the paint finish. I'd certainly keep metho away from the paint as it will react similar to brake fluid and turn the clear coat white. Don't try anything like acetone because that's too high a volatility as well. Best of luck

Hi, exactly what I tried a few hours ago, before replying to the thread, and yes, works a treat. A couple of bottles of turps, and fine micofibre clothes, followed by a good Wax, and then final detail, and I think we are onto a winner. Tried a small portion of the hood, and looks great. For the windows, same and steelo. I wonder if the extra money I paid for the paint protection was part of the saver ?

Will post a pic on the weekend, show you the final result. Thanks everyone for your input. Have included one before the disaster. Tried to take a pic showing the difference, but can't get the resolution to show the changes. IMG_3362-RESIZE.jpg

I was heartbroken for a while there. I have maintained this car, like no other, as I was looking for a long term vehicle, I could eventually turn into a showcar. Now, I can go ahead with my Stage 3 Cam, new headers, 3 1/2" catback, etc, to go what I already have - factory sunroof, full interior leather ( SS, not SS-V ), rear park assist ( waste of money ), full darkest legal tint, paint and leather protection ).

Cheers, and thankyou so much - Doc

blasta1

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE
the paint protection would of saved you some way as most paint protection just seals the pores of the paint you can always use wax and grease remover ie prepsol on you paint work thats wat its designed for cleaning the surface ideal for tar removal , im an old school spray painter and always keep a product called T CUT in the shed its a very fine cutting solution thats ideal for hand application for minor scratch marks and also would of removed the over spray from your car it can be used with a buff as well produces an awsome shine on acrylic paints in particular , glad to here your baby is ok too .

cjf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 300+rwkw & BF GT
Just a few points which made me cringe,I make my living as a detailer for Holden and Im amazed at the way some people abuse their cars.
1) Never use STEELO OR A SCOURER on your glass or paint. (Use a razor blade on your glass)
2) Never clean your paint with thinners.( use a clay bar)

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
a clay bar and lube is your friend. use it on the paint and it will remove the roof sealant. clay has been around for ages and is used in panel shops for removing overspray. once you have done it on the paint then use it on the glass as the glass is alot harder to mark so its fine to use the old clay on it.

do not use scourers or steel wool, will damage the clear
do not use thinners as it will soften the clear and will make it easier to mark in the future
do not use cutting compound as it will dislodge the contaminates on the paint surface and drag them all over the paint and marr up the clear coat.

on a side note, if you had applied a good sealant/wax to protect your paint then this wont be as much of an issue as it would of made it hard for the roof sealant to bond to the paint therefore easy to remove it