Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What amp do I need to power my sub?

jallal26

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Equipe
So I'm buying a 1300w pioneer TS-W304R sub from Supercheap, but not sure what amp I need to power it. I was looking at 1300w monoblock amps but then after doing some research people were saying a 600-800w amp will do the job. Doesn't this under power the sub?? I have no clue, someone help me out thanks.

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
300watts rms for anyone playing at home ;)

Small monoblock, although the sub is single 4ohm.

you could get a small 4 channel amp, bridge two channels to the sub, and run the front speakers off the other two channels...

Or even get a small 2 channel amp to bridge and just run the sub.

How much is your budget though?

jallal26

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Equipe
Probably can't spend more then $200 or maby $250 on the amp at the moment

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
Got upgraded front speakers? or do you plan to add some in future? its always worth while trying to make your install somewhat "future proof" ;)

jallal26

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Equipe
Nahh my speakers are heaps good not thinking about changing them, and ill keep them connected to my head unit so yeah only need a sub and amp

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Your missing the point, the sub is a single 4 ohm. When you use monoblock amps for subs, typically you want the lowest impedance load, this means more power from the amp. But in your case you need to try and make it worth while, which is why ammojammo is reccomending using a 4 ch amp and amplifying the front speakers while your at it.

What are the speakers that are heaps good that you think will sound their best running from the head unit?

jallal26

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Equipe
Not sure what the speakers are depends what the old owner put in them, and don't really have time to wire the speakers to an amp aswell, any how all I really wanna know is what amp to get? The sub is 400 rms by the way

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Ive seeb that amp used a lot in the exact same configuration that ammo was saying. Its also the perfect setup in coupes and small vehicles as well an awesome entry into car audio for larger vehicles as a later date when the rears are upgraded it can run those and then purchase a monoblock for the sub.

And being honest, there is no reason why you cant hook up the fronts to it even if they are stock, just set a crossover (not starting any arguments lol) and keep your gains low and OEM fronts will cope reasonably well... but you have to keep the gains low. But with x over set they will jump in volume and clarity.... but this is not a substitute for qood quality components.

If you do hook up the fronts... and you dont keep the gains low you will very quickly cook the front speakers at which point... dont blame me!