Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What amp to use with 2 alpine type r 15"'s?

S

Stubby

Ok i have little experience with car audio, apart from the very basics. At the moment im running a SONY head unit, 2 kenwood speakers in the front, and 2 6 by 9' kenwoods in the back, there is no amp in my car at the moment.

I am recieving two alpine type r 15 inch subs in a custom box very soon and need help on an amp and the right wiring/capacitors to go with it.

These are the subs details:
SWR-1542D Type-R 15" Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer (4Ohm + 4Ohm)

The Type-R subwoofers just keep getting better and better. Thanks to high grade materials and optimised design, they reproduce all the low frequencies with extraordinary power and clarity.

Power Handling (Peak): 2000W
Power Handling (RMS): 750W
Frequency Response: 22Hz - 500Hz
Nominal Impedance: 4Ohm+4Ohm
Sensitivity (SPL@1W/1m): 87dB
Installation Diameter: 349mm
Depth: 234mm
Kevlar Reinforced Pulp Cone
Custom Cast Aluminium Frame with Integrated Perimeter Venting and Heat Transfer Plate
Dual Voice Coil Design
HAMR Surround and Concealed Mount Gasket
Insert Push Terminals with One-sided Layout
Designed and Engineered in the USA

So which amp/wiring/capacitors would you guys recommend to me? Im looking at this on on ebay at the moment, PIONEER AMP ON EBAY would it do the job for both or would i need two amps? Im willing to buy 2 amps if need be.
Thanks for ya help!

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Ideally I would use two amps to power those suckers. They require 750Wrms at 2ohms. Thats a lot of power. Not many amps are capable of that. Only in bridged mode.

That amp on eBay? won't even come close to powering both. It wouldn't even drive one sub to full efficency. My opinion would be to fork out on a pair 800Wrms ClassD amps from Jaycar. They are about 400 each and will work beautifully. They may not have a name brand. But they are designed for power and not prettyness. In your situation, you need sheer brute power to get those puppies cranking.

Good Luck, with those two at full power....you will be heard from miles around. I hope your freindly with your local copper :)

S

Stubby

trunkrattler said:
My opinion would be to fork out on a pair 800Wrms ClassD amps from Jaycar. They are about 400 each and will work beautifully. They may not have a name brand. But they are designed for power and not prettyness. In your situation, you need sheer brute power to get those puppies cranking.

Good Luck, with those two at full power....you will be heard from miles around. I hope your freindly with your local copper :)

This is good advice, i have nothing against jaycar, if they can do the job they will get my respect. And the local copper is a bit of an a$$, but we'll see what happens. :rofl:

Jeff T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
I third that suggestion of getting the Jaycar amps.

2 of them will cost $718 (you get a discount for buying 2+) and give each sub 700W RMS each.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
qualty speaker help amp go a long way alpine/rockford fosgate now run around 2.5kw 1.8 rms check web sites

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I doubt you have those subs as those specs are for the Winter 2005 range that has just come out. They will be for the summer 2004/2005 range and are 500 wrms. By having 4 Ohm subs its gonna cost ya big $$$
AirStrike :air:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
ummm....Airstrike? He DID say he doesn't have them but is getting them.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Well since it says that he is 'recieving' them soon not buying them, im guessing they are from a mate. And the stats given are straight of Alpines site so he may have just assumed that they are what hes getting. Just dont want him to go out and spend money on amps that are not needed.
AirStrike :air:

Jeff T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Getting 1 Jaycar monoblock to start with would be an option then, and buy the second one if needed. Dual 4ohms subs would seem the best option if only using one amp.

Wire the voice coils in parallel, and then the subs in parallel. Will give the amp a 1ohm load which is optimal.

Each sub will then be getting 400WRMS+ each. If that's not enough you can always buy a second amp, wire the coils in parallel again, run a sub of each amp and have them getting 700W each, at 2ohms.