Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What are all the ve engines and what are the ones to avoid

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
Looks great and love the suede accents... Holden infotainment technology has never been good quality IMO and I do personally prefer the Series 1 head units as they look more integrated with the interior design... I've been thinking of doing the infotainment conversion like you had done, though it's not really worth it given the newest VE is almost 10 years old and the oldest one is approaching 17 years old...

Maybe you should have sold the car to @evBenji lol
Go Aeropro & aftermarket head unit

get all the bells n whistles

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
If you wanted to, though I'm personally not a fan of the way it looks in the interior...
ill take some pics of my setup - the car is in pieces at the moment as I'm running all the cabling etc for the amps along the sides

I guess when it comes to functionality & features aftermarket is always the best

If you want that OEM original look & don't mind the compromise in functionality then it is what it is

I guess it all depends on how much of a tech-head (nerd) one is

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Pretty much, though the 3 litre is similar to the 3.6 in the reliability aspect... All you need to do is to look for a Series 1.5 onwards (post 2009) and you'll be okay... What is your budget?
From what I’ve heard the 3 litre engine in the Commodore is the same as the 4 cylinder engine in the Toyota Camry, completely useless because it goes through the same amount of fuel anyway but is underpowered.

In fact it would be even more useless than the 4 cylinder Camry as you don’t get cheaper rego (well here in QLD anyway where we are charged per cylinder).

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
From what I’ve heard the 3 litre engine in the Commodore is the same as the 4 cylinder engine in the Toyota Camry, completely useless because it goes through the same amount of fuel anyway but is underpowered.

In fact it would be even more useless than the 4 cylinder Camry as you don’t get cheaper rego (well here in QLD anyway where we are charged per cylinder).
I don't know about that statement as I've driven a 4 cylinder Camry and own a 3 litre Omega... The 3 litre feels quite a bit more responsive than a 4 cylinder Camry and is a little smoother than the 3.6, IMO and from what I've heard... I've also heard that the 3 litre was originally meant to be turbocharged, though I don't think that was officially said...

It's a little bit stupid that you guys in Queensland get charged per cylinder... Does that mean that you pay cheaper rego on the new 4 cylinder C63 and pay more for a V6 Commodore?

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
I don't know about that statement as I've driven a 4 cylinder Camry and own a 3 litre Omega... The 3 litre feels quite a bit more responsive than a 4 cylinder Camry and is a little smoother than the 3.6, IMO and from what I've heard... I've also heard that the 3 litre was originally meant to be turbocharged, though I don't think that was officially said...

It's a little bit stupid that you guys in Queensland get charged per cylinder... Does that mean that you pay cheaper rego on the new 4 cylinder C63 and pay more for a V6 Commodore?
In many EU countries they charge you for CI’s or CC’s

they don’t care 1 cyl or 12 cyl