Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what are the biggest wheels to fit on a vr

maxamas

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr commpdore executive
hi guys I have a 100% standard vr commodore sedan and was just after some info on what would be the biggest weels and tyres I could fit on without any mods ? thy way im thinking is to either put bigger wheels on and keep it standard height or keep the wheels on it that are on it now and just lower the car by around 2 inches anyway any info would be great :)

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
There is one user here who has 17x10" rims on the rear of an VR HSV Senator but that is IRS. Live axle is bit different.

vrstatesman5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR statesman
I've 20" rims on mine with rolled guards but I doubt you will get anybigger honestly 18" 19" would be best

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
Iv got 20- 8.5 with 245 tyres and myn is slammed on the round to, 638mm from ground to gaurds on all 4 corners

Iv been measuring and the front is on it's limits but the rear I can get 9.5 or 10 inch rears with 295 rubber witch I'll be doin one day but probley not in 20 I'll probley go with 18 as they will be for traction

speed__demond

slammed and cammed
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vs statesman 5L
I had 20s on the old vr wags. they scrubbed the front struts. u could put smaller tyres on them to fix that or get coilovers.
but honestly the ride is absolutely terrible. on a vr if u want big rims just go 19s to avoid it a little but id get new shocks so ur ride isn't completely crap

VRSenator065

Now in stealth mode
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator LSx454
Well what will fit doesn't have anything to do with being 20s or not as long as the rolling diameter is about the same. Its all about what offset they are, and how wide. If a wheel hits the strut, changing the offset moving the wheel out will allow it to clear the strut. If a wheel rubs on the guard changing the offset to move the wheel inwards will stop it. How far out, or how far in depends on the overall width you want if that makes sense.

I have 10s on the back of my VR with IRS and they do not scrub at all. But I had them made to my own offset so there is the same amount of clearance on the inside to the trailing arm, and the same to the edge of the guard. As above live axle is a little different, principal is the same though.

Steel rims can be made relatively easily to any offset, I have in the past had rims changed, they grind off the welds holding the centre to the rim, then move the centre to the new position and reweld it. In fact I am about to have a pair of 15x10 steelies made up for drag use.

Hope that helps.

93VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive SI
I've seen 22" on vr/vs. For the most part you can run whatever takes your fancy. Just a matter of tyre profile and offset.

Manny_cuz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr v6 buick
Iv got 20- 8.5 with 245 tyres and myn is slammed on the round to, 638mm from ground to gaurds on all 4 corners

Iv been measuring and the front is on it's limits but the rear I can get 9.5 or 10 inch rears with 295 rubber witch I'll be doin one day but probley not in 20 I'll probley go with 18 as they will be for traction
What's legal?