Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What are the VT SS 5.0 litres like?

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Why would you bump a 8 year old thread just for that......

iaydemir

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Berlina
I thought all SS's were V8s? Wouldn't that make the one with the L67 just an S?

You are correct.

No, you are both wrong.
VT SS's had the option for the L67. So yes, there are VT SS's around with the supercharged V6.
Having said that, not many people opted for this combo.

iaydemir

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Berlina
Stand corrected on that one. The VT was the only model that had that option right?

From memory there's about 200 VP SS's with a V6 as well.
I'm not aware of any other models.

gm1961

Reaction score
Hi All

For a old thread that got revived ( but that is what search is for )

VT V6SC does exist

We have 2 commodores at home , 1999 VT SS 5.0 auto , and a 2001 WH statesman V6 SC auto.

The statesman was my bosses car new , i got the car when the lease expired , as a daily driver I have a great time with it, quiet and semi fast, some times it feels sluggish other times it can get up and go. The real difference is that it is super smooth and quiet, so you need to look at the speedo to tell what speed you are doing

The VT SS , i really like, it has that nice 5.0 V8 burble, the car drives and feels snappy and responsive, even at some low speed like 20kph and you accelerate to 40 kph , it just feels nice , it has a nice growl and more than enough power. ( but you always want more )

The WH is a far easier car to drive, the ride height is FE1 so slightly lower than a stock family car, it has great handling and drive ability, the steering is much lights than the SS

The SS feels more like a little racer, it does have the lowered king springs ( still legal height - just once click down from factory SS - FE2) but it is very firm over bumps or potholes, but i have no problems with road humps or gutters. The steering in the SS is much heavier - i think it does not have the variable steering rack that the statesman has.
Cornering and road grip in the SS is much better

My wife drives both cars, she will grab the statesman every time, as it is easier and does not bump around as much, they only negative is that it is slightly longer, but one day we measured them up and on the ruler the overall difference was not much especially when you say " the car is that big a this much is not a problem "

Both cars in sydney traffic range between 420-480k's per tank, i am happy if i get 450k's , i dont do much trips, actually never done one in the SS , the WH is a genuine 6650-700k on a country trip - eg sydney nowra which is about 250-300k's each way depending on how much tourist and local running around we do

Prior to that i had a VP V6 , nice car, the engine was a complete surprise, just as strong as the WB308 and way more responsive

Regards
george

colourmesilver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT1 98 SS 195i 5.0L 304 HSV ENHANCED
I have a VT1 SS 5L 195i version and wouldn't drive anything else, excellent fuel economy with decent engine oil. Even the old retro 4 SP transmission can't kill em. Only issues as expected was the a/c compressor. So yeah no air con. Anyhow parts are cheap and easy to fit except the bloody dizzy - mean who sticks it right behind the block up against the firewall??? Anyhow last of the cast irons... :)