Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What are you drinking right now?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
20181129_161558.jpg
started my homebrew ginger beer. I have fermented in a bucket before but it gave too much yeast by product and makes you fart like a bastard, plus a crook gut the next day. This time i am going to just use the plant and bottle it straight away once i add sugar and water. I am thinking i will add some old moonshine i have had for about 4 years to increase the alcohol content to that of a full strength beer. Need to do something with the moonshine as i find it filthy to drink. Neighbour drinks it every day with diet coke.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
I put this one to brew last week. Do not know if you guys get this brand but if you do try it, is a good drop. What I use is Spring Water, the one you buy at the store. The minerals in the water gives the yeast some to work with and taste way better. Used once Tap Filtered and Distilled water. Distilled left the beer almost flat, Tap Filtered gave an odd flavor, not bad, just some that I did not enjoyed.

10-11977-00_product_1_hp_1.jpg

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Hadn't heard of it.
Just done a quick Google search and a WA homebrew place sells it .
Also target au sell their starter kits.
I'm going to have to try it and their Diablo firey ipa.
Had my brother in laws stout last night, dam that was sensational , ( couldn't really taste the coffee) , but the slight vanilla and very chocolatey tastes = absolutely fantastic

Tonight one of Murray's brewery celebration ( 2 decades in business) ( local port Stephens brewery), porter = very very nice.
Where I work had their Christmas do at the brewery yesterday arvo, dam fine feed it was as well .
So bought the porter and a 4 pack of their grand cru tripel= very interesting and nice.

Also just been away on my first cruise ( missus has been on a few and raves about them) , ( personally great for a change but if it's too long can go stir crazy) .

Anyway met a couple of your countrymen , great couple, from las vegas , we even work in the same industry ( small world ).
Foreign languages = ha ha, he'd bought a tasting paddle of 10 beers, turned out each 1 was 250 ml , so we shared.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Drinking the ugly bird tonight
A few Wild Turkey's always go down alright :D

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just finished bottling my homebrew ginger beer. I added about 400mls of moonshine, which was about 70%. At a guess i would say i have roughly a mid strength beer in alcohol content. Once the bottle fermentation is complete it could be close to a full strength beer. Hard to say as i lost my hydrometer a while back that i used to test it with. Although the last batch i made i brewed in the bucket and end up with too much yeast and yeast byproduct. I am thinking with the distilled alcohol to raise the concentration, instead 5 days of bucket fermentation, it should be a bit easier the next morning.
20181209_140123.jpg

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
I guess I am not the only one that uses Grolsch beer bottles. The gift that keeps on giving.

Today, bottled 28 bottles of Mr Beer Bewitched Amber Ale.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah I got them from the can & bottle recyler in Adelaide. They sell them for a $1 each. I bought 30 odd. I tried the beer and still have one in the fridge from 3 years ago. I really don't like the taste, so may end up tipping it out.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Same here, an average drop with an outstanding bottle.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Sitting here and am thinking the ginger beer may be a tad sweet. So i have decided to leave it uncapped for about 6hrs. This will lower the sugar content a tad as well as increase the alcohol volume a smidge. I have also had to think about the best way to store it as the summer heat will mean the beer will be ready in 3 or 4 days instead of 2 or 3 weeks if it was winter. I reckon i am going to need to fill the fridge with the gear i want for Christmas straight away or there could end up being one sticky office if the tops blow off by the end of next week. We dont have enough fridge space to wait until the beer is gassy enough to drink, so need to delay maybe half the brew. Then swap them over once I the first half needs to be refrigerated. By then i will be heading bush so i can chuck some in the fridge at the shack.