Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What can i do to make my VL more economical?

202lx

Reaction score
Members Ride
LX SL sedan
I got an auto VL wagon with just a standard 6 in it. What can i do to make it use less fuel?

Panama

Reaction score
Members Ride
'87 VL Calais with L67
pump up your tyres and take all the useless crap out of it. don't hoon. thats about all i can think of

202lx

Reaction score
Members Ride
LX SL sedan
I was thinking of more what engine mods i could do. I have bashed out cats and highflow muffler. I think a pod filter would help a little bit. If i advanced the timing a little bit would that make much difference?

redcv6

supercharged intercooled
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute, diesel landcruiser 100s, hq panel van
buy a scooter

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Extractors will help a little with fuel economy. Make sure your oxygen sensor is working properly because it will drink fuel if the oxy sensor doesn't work. Make sure your temp sensor is working properly and your thermostat closes off when the engine is cold so the engine warms up quickly. Give it a tune up so it is running nice and smoothe and change the fuel filter.

BLOWN R8

WHISTLE BY HARROP
Reaction score
Members Ride
BLOWN VZ R8 MALOO, LC 406, HT PREM, VX SS
leave it in the shed!

202lx

Reaction score
Members Ride
LX SL sedan
thanks for the real reply tree cutter. How do i check if my oxy sensor to see if its working properly?
Also, i have heard from my mate who is a qualified mechanic that by putting a hotter thermostat in the engine (thermostat that opens up later) it will use less fuel by tricking the computer into thinking that its running lean or something. Is that right?

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Don't bother with the thermostat crap, if you want it running lean get it tuned lean. That's what I did in my VN and it uses a fair bit less fuel now.

Also, honestly, bashed out catalytic converter? Why? There is no reason for this, you're just spewing all sorts of toxic **** out your exhaust pipe.