Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What did you do to your VR/VS today?

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
That's pretty good for a 5 litre.

BTW, have we seen any pics of this thing ? If not, time to load'em up.
X2 = pictures
Nice , yeah, standard was getting high 11s / low 12s .
Once that small mod = coincidently 14.1 .
That's with a bit of everything 50 / 60 / 70/ 80 100 zones and not much traffic in the morning traffic , around 76 kms a day and sometimes shxt traffic ( for newy ) in the arvo.

Comcal76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP v6
Although someone at a little get together stated he had a stage 2 crow cam in his VS Ute but I didn't know you could just install and time it? Is that true?

Mace sells the stage 2 crow cam that comes with a tuned memcal.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Phone is stuffed can only mms pics untill get new phone & service provider next year unless someone here wants to post pics of stock looking vp ute with vs driveline?

Afstruct you sure people were getting 11-12's per 100 with suburb/city driving?
This thing is way lighter than a stocker,no options at all,subtle mods & 13's per 100 is about best it can do driving normal for Sydney traffic.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I doubt 304 ute would get 11s or even 12s. Mine gets 10s on the highway but only if the tonneau cover is on. Around town 12 maybe 11 depending how easy run i get through the lights. I have fair few mods to help me get the LPH i get. Stock would be 13-14 through Town. As you know I have a Buick.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Afstruct you sure people were getting 11-12's per 100 with suburb/city driving?
This thing is way lighter than a stocker,no options at all,subtle mods & 13's per 100 is about best it can do driving normal for Sydney traffic.[/QUOTE]

I doubt 304 ute would get 11s or even 12s. Mine gets 10s on the highway but only if the tonneau cover is on. Around town 12 maybe 11 depending how easy run i get through the lights. I have fair few mods to help me get the LPH i get. Stock would be 13-14 through Town. As you know I have a Buick.

Sorry , yeah only half my trip is suburbia.
As said 70 , 80 and 100 km zones = about 40% of my daily trip and there's only 1 set of traffic lights( by 2 = 1 to work and 1 to home ) in that 40%
Most of the time not much traffic in the morning = 5.45 am start.
So , yeah definitely at least high 11s stock.
Why I found it not only so enjoyable ( could easily overtake slower morning traffic in more open road situations ( not so much now = so much more traffic))
But also for what it was and my driving conditions = fairly affordable.

Yeah, wouldn't get near that in stop / start suburbia traffic.

Last edited:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Losh...I could get 11's out of ol' v6 manual...never had it on freeway long enough to get highway figures.Don't think it have got much better than 9-10's on highway.Memcal tune made the biggest difference.

Similar mods just way lighter than your ute..with v8 probably low 1300kgs again after jenny craig program.Hopefully get it lighter but nearly will be difficult to get it under 1300kgs.

Unclemushy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
Mace sells the stage 2 crow cam that comes with a tuned memcal.
Oh sweet as, so I'm confused as to why they adjusted the timing then? Does it help avoid leaning out? I should have probably mentioned I'm only learning at this point haha.

Unclemushy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
Don't bother with a plenum spacer, just fit the LIM spacer. Trying to fit both makes the plenum a litte high for the bonnet. The go would be a decent set of Pacies, Mace CAI and decent memcal tune as well as the LIM spacer. Do all of the above and you will have a nice little Eco.

Just to clarify I'm after the 25 mm lim spacer for naturally aspirated application?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Timing should retard as you get up in the revs. This helps to reduce pinging. A poor tune may not retard properly. A Mace tune will retard. A poor tune could actually advance timing to help increase power but its not good when the revs get up in the power range.

Unclemushy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
Timing should retard as you get up in the revs. This helps to reduce pinging. A poor tune may not retard properly. A Mace tune will retard. A poor tune could actually advance timing to help increase power but its not good when the revs get up in the power range.

Ah okay than, Also I've got the pages saved for the mace memcal, 25 mm Lim spacer and the cai at the moment although $250 seems a bit harsh for what looks like a pod filter with and enclosed box, I have a pod filter laying around, would there be a good method to enclose what I have and get the same benefit from what I've got? I think it's a 73mm pod if that's of any use.