Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What dizzy

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
Some help with Ignition

Should I get an Electronic Distributor or use the old coil setup?
The old loom had the resisted wire but that burnt out so I replaced with normal wire and blew the coil...
Should I get another Coil with Resistor, or just get an electronic Dizzy? One of my parents mate said that if I were to upgrade to electronic dizzy that it would help improve fuel economy :hmmm:
I was thinking of getting something like this: Click
What should I do?

Edit:
Also... I pulled apart the whole ignition some time ago.. I dont know how to setup the ignition leads, Ive cranked the over till a piston reaches the first sparkplug hole, The mark lines up with the timing scale, but the Rotor ever faces the back of the engine, or towards the 2nd sparkplug.. Is there a problem? :\

Last edited:

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
what car are we talking about here mate ?
I assume it's not the VR listed in 'ride'.

if it was an old points type distributor, then yes it's a worthwhile upgrade to an electronic HEI distributor.
Yes you will need to replace the coil with a HEI coil to suit, and remove the balast resistor from the circuit.

and based on the negative feedback I've read from various sources, I would avoid Procomp parts.
See if you can find a second hand VC-VL V8 distributor instead.

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
Oh Sorry, I was talking about a Hz Kingswood with a 253, forgot to mention.
I was trying to replace the dizzy with a Electronic dizzy with a coil built into it
What kind of negative feedback have you heard?

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
basically a lot of dissatisfied customers. Part failures, poor quality to the point where parts won't even fit without major modification, parts not performing as advertised etc

do a 'procomp' search at the big Holden/Ford forums and you'll find plenty of threads on it
here's just one example, and there are plenty more at that site if you do a search
http://forum.################.com.au/showthread.php?t=8552511&highlight=procomp
ah bugger it, why the administrators of this forum feel the need to censor the name of another car forum is beyond me.....

Just do a search at the S treet Commodores forum

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
yeah mate stay away from procomp & at racing world! i bought a gilmer kit from them......fuc#ed! bought a low mount alternator bracket from them....fuc#ed.....all of which they told me it would bolt on with modifications......BULLSH@T!

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
mate ive just been asking the same thing!
ari666 got knowledge on this! read my thread on 5.0L efi conversion...posted today!