Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What do you need to lower ur car

younglion

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY SS Ute 5.7
is it possible to lower a car without changing springs? probly a stupid question but i am nnot 100% sure

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Nah its not a stupid question and in short the answer is yes
you can get your current springs reset to a point...
not sure on the cost of this....
Or if you wanna destroy your can and die you can shop your springs..
So your only lowering options are gettin new spring, reset springs or air suspension... :p

Infin8

VXIIBerlina 'Chrome Spec'
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXIIBERLINA
airbags all tha way :D im sure we all have a few grand lying around sumwhere :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Infin8

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
Heavy duty towbars (2100kgs) do not come with camber kits......

Heavy duty towbars usually have air (pump up) shock absorbers....

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
As for checking for a heavy duty camber kit im not exactly sure..
I know with mine its the one thats square and you can putt the tow-ball section out.
I recon any mechanic should be able to tell you if its HD or not.

And im pretty sure the HD ones come with a camber kit standard as when the car will be towing with the greater wait it will be sitting low for an extended time andwith more pressure on the tyres.

Good luck with it

Hey jesterarts seein as i got the same set up HD bar as u have... u tried towing now that ur cars lowered?? got ne problems with rubbin wen u got a trailer load on?? just thinkin whether if it worth takin off if it does i mean i still wanna use my HD bar if i can coz it comes in handy thats 4 sure, but i also wanna lower my car later.

Timzo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Heavy duty towbars (2100kgs) do not come with camber kits......

Heavy duty towbars usually have air (pump up) shock absorbers....
Yer thats true i do have air shockies, theres a little nozzle on the back where i can pump them up with a pump :p but are you shore they dont come with camber kits, because when there a 2 tonne boat dragging on the ass of your commodore, wouldnt it tend to give some negative camber?

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Nah i haven't towed with the car lowered...
but i will be soon as i get my racing go-kart...

as to saying HD tow bars don't come with camber kits...
My mate had a VT Commy Series one with a HD tow bar and my car has a HD tow bar...
We purchesed both with stock FE2 suspension and both lowered them will SSSL in the rear...

After gettin them lowered we both discovered that our camber wasn't as bad as another mate who lowered his the same suspension and his negative camber has really bad...

On further investigation my mate found that he had a camber kit but the previous owner of the car said that he never individually had one installed.

Though i gotta admit after lookin at some towbar sites and what no i have yet to find mention of a camber kit...
hmmm

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
Lemme know how u go after u towed ur go kart jester specially as ur car will b alot lower than wat i would imagine 2 get dun so if it works i shouldnt have a prob u would think?

Has ne1 else got a HD bar on there cars, been lowered, and towed somthing??? howd it go?

bradvt98

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt executive
anyone have pedders touring car springs in there car ?
i've got mine booked in in a few weeks to get these put in. the ride height he showed me looks fine but just worried it'll sit higher than he said ride height will be 585mm from bottom of rim ( 18's ) to bottom of guard leaving about a 1cm between tyre and gaurd he never mentioned anything about pedders superlows or anything i told him how low i wanted it and he said he wouldn't do it as it would be unroadworthy
and also said that kings superlows and ultra's are for show cars only and not for road use. I had some heavy things in my boot the other day and it was sitting at exactly 585mm but wether it actually does sit at that height i don't know.

so anyone got pics with them in ?

Jesterarts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Superlow's are still legal on commodores...
SSL and SSSL are too low but...
When is comes to lowering u have to retain 2 thirds of the original suspensions travel and the front to back height has to get conserved...