Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What do you run your car on?

MuNtEd

Reaction score
In A Box Somewhere Up The End Of Your Street
Members Ride
94 VR EXEC
mines been running on BP Ultimate has been eva since i brought the car in sept 03

dontsailbackwards

I didn't do it
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais V6 '94
I run 98 octane with valve additive in my VK 202 EFI. Seems to prefer Caltex 98 or BP. It's harder to start on Optimax & runs a little rougher. I always carry a 9/16" spanner for some "mechanical advance" on the dizzy. It's a slow dog on anything less than 98 octane. With octane additives you can advance the hell out of it. Fuel economy in the VK is abysmal.

My VR V6 runs better on 98 than the 91 cat's wee & the fuel economy seems about 5-10% better. It runs fine on cat-wee though. That's engine management for ya.

T

Tiga

i have a vk 202 efi, i put bf regular unleaded and it pings and rattles when i "feed it" thru the streets, would a octane boost fix that, how much better would ultimate make it run, when i got it it was running on ultimate, it was great, no pings, would i have done any damage to my car putting regular unleaded in it?

Cheers
Trent

daggett

Crazy Tiger
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Wagon
You may have done damage to the valves, valve guides but insted of worry about that I would start putting a higher octain fuel in A.S.A.P

T

Tiga

i bought some octane boost, waiting till tonight before i fill it up and put ultimate in it (98% octane). This octane boost claims to protect my valves and valce seats, and stop engine pinging :D. Least now i no not to put regular unleaded in it :)