Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What do you think of this VY SS?

Force

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
Hey guys,

I'm looking in to this VY SS Wagon advertised on Car Sales:

2003 HOLDEN COMMODORE SS VY Private Cars For Sale in NSW - carsales.com.au

Now I don't know too much about cars to be honest, but what do you guys think about it? It seems decent.

I will obviously be contacting the seller as soon as possible, but I was wondering if someone could give me some useful questions I should ask him about the car?

Thanks

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Do yourself a favour and give the car a big miss. It's done 240,000 kms and mechanically it's virtually clapped out (as the guy selling it knows). Don't waste your time looking at it. No decent dealer would want to buy it for resale because of the very high kms and the guy should have it on the market for about $8000 because that is all it's worth with those kms.

If you want to buy a repair bill then this is the car to buy.

kms = wear and tear on all the mechanicals, end of story.

There are many VYs on the market with under 100000 kms still and these are the cars you should be looking at if you want a VY. Look for those that have been well cared for and have a fully documented service history with not more than 2 private owners. Preferably look for the series 2 VYs which you can identify with the series 2 badge on the rear.

Finally, when you find a car you like which checks out ok have a professional mechanical inspection cariied out on it so you will know the faults/issues with the particular vehicle before you lay down any cash.

Cheers

AUSFITTER

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY SS series 2
Mate i would get NRMA to inspect the car, and upon what the report would say go from there. Just cause the car has 240km on the clock doesnt mean ****. If it has been looked after, then it will probably run better then some of those cars as stated in the above post, with 100km or less. If i was still living in NSW, i would definately look at that car for sure, as VY SS Wagons are pretty rare to come across. At the end of the day it is your call, but i know plenty of people that would buy that in a heart beat.

AUSFITTER

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY SS series 2
Again mate it comes down to how you look after/maintain it. There are going to be things that will need to be replaced at some stage, but thats the joys of owning ANY car.

Force

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
I got in contact with the seller and here's what he had to say:

'Thanks for your inquiry.
What I can tell you about the car is that it runs beautifully since I have only bought it 3 month ago. I am the third owner of the car and as far as I the car hasn't been in any accidents. I haven't noticed any oil leaks. I personally know the previous owner so if you need more information I could try to get you in touch with him.

Just to let you know, other than the interior which is really good, the exterior of the car is in a poorer condition.'

Not sure what I think about him only having the car for 3 months.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I got in contact with the seller and here's what he had to say:

'Thanks for your inquiry.
What I can tell you about the car is that it runs beautifully since I have only bought it 3 month ago. I am the third owner of the car and as far as I the car hasn't been in any accidents. I haven't noticed any oil leaks. I personally know the previous owner so if you need more information I could try to get you in touch with him.

Just to let you know, other than the interior which is really good, the exterior of the car is in a poorer condition.'

Not sure what I think about him only having the car for 3 months.

Go view the car. See what the other examples are worth, their relative condition and make your decision from there.

Reaper