Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what does the ecu learn after you reset it?

pillzor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive
as title says, i understand the ecu relearns certain things after you reset it and i was just curious too see what they all are.
is it just fuel / air mixtures ?

speed_freak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8 Eco
it can also learn shift times slightly. driving the car really hard after resetting tunes the shift to change a lil later in the rev range and vice versa

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
it can also learn shift times slightly. driving the car really hard after resetting tunes the shift to change a lil later in the rev range and vice versa

No, it doesnt... What people always fail to understand is that the ECU is constantly updating itself. If this were true, It would do this without needing to be reset first. What you're talking about is probably all placebo effect.

The only way the shift points would really change, is if you had a tune like I do, a greenfoam one, where he sets the shift points in the memcal to be firmer, more aggressive and hold gear longer.

Last edited:

Cursed CX8

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra
iv been told there are small gains to be had, last time i re-set the ecu i ****ed my shift points and the shifts went back to being weak and sluggish like before i had it tuned.

After a week they went back to normal.
Thats pretty much my only input

VSPantha

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS V8
I've always been told that after you do the reset, start the car and hold it at 3000rpm for the first 8 seconds so it can do the air/fuel mixture calculation. Not sure about the shift points... I thought that they were coded into the memcal and couldn't be altered by resetting?
This might be a question for Greenfoam to answer ;)

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
You don't need to reset the ECU or have a tune to alter shift points - just press the power button and that delays the shifts same as a tune.

-Guy-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS '95
You don't need to reset the ECU or have a tune to alter shift points - just press the power button and that delays the shifts same as a tune.

The power button doesnt have the same effect as a tune. If so, why would people be wasting money on getting their car tuned? When you get a tune it makes the car have a bit more grunt and also delays the shifts..The power button only delays the shifts and gives a little bit more power. Does not do the same thing as a tune though.

pillzor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive
well case in point, after putting delcos memcal in my vs goes harder in economy than it did in power when it was stock.

aceventura

Doesn't drive like this
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda 6
The power button doesnt have the same effect as a tune. If so, why would people be wasting money on getting their car tuned? When you get a tune it makes the car have a bit more grunt and also delays the shifts..The power button only delays the shifts and gives a little bit more power. Does not do the same thing as a tune though.

If you read Hako's post correctly he is saying that if all you want to do is change the shift points then press the power button, not change your tune. A tuned memcal changes many other parameters as well as the shift points.

In any case, I agree with Vee-ard - I would doubt that shift points are learnt.

I've always been told that after you do the reset, start the car and hold it at 3000rpm for the first 8 seconds so it can do the air/fuel mixture calculation.

This may be correct, but I have watched the engine parameters on startup, and it takes ~1 min for the car to enter closed loop mode, and it would need to do this to change any air/fuel mixtures in a sensible way.

Again, like Vee-ard said, the ecu is constantly adapting, albeit slowly (as I think it averages old and new information in some way), so it will learn this as you drive. My feeling is that you should only need to reset if you change something in the engine that will change performance.

Last edited:

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
it will learn fuel ratio's to get it perfect at cruise will learn IAC steps to keep good idle and will change shift pressures untill it changes gears at its preset shift times in the tune if its slipping into gears the ecu will change pressure untill it changes gears withen a set time and vice versa if its changing to fast but it can only adjust so far