Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what drive "D" do u guys drive in

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
JDZVNHSV said:
i drive in blue all the time.

i am correct in saying the only thing blue d does that white d doesn't is realease 4th?
other than that there is no differnece?

No, go back and read Pandamans post. Blue D = More wear on gearbox and worse fuel consumption when doing under 80km/h.... his post explains why.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
1991_Vn2nV said:
No, go back and read Pandamans post. Blue D = More wear on gearbox and worse fuel consumption when doing under 80km/h.... his post explains why.

Actually if ya wanna get complex, it depends on the conditions. If you're doing a constant 80k's on the flat then 4th is quite acceptable. With the 5L it has the torque to happily wander along at 60 on the flat in fourth. If you're doing a lot of speeding up and slowing down then you are correct it will probably cause a bit of wear because the gearbox has to go through third to get to second. As for the fuel consumption, while in theory round town economy could be better if fourth is locked out, I suspect the difference is two tenths of bugger all in reality. I say drive whichever way makes ya happy, as long as you understand whats going on under the bonnet.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
JDZVNHSV said:
i drive in blue all the time.

i am correct in saying the only thing blue d does that white d doesn't is realease 4th?
other than that there is no differnece?

Yes that is exactly what it does. All white D does is lock out 4th. Blue D allows the auto to select any gear 1st through 4th depending on your speed and position of the right foot.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
I drive blue D everywhere. I can get it into 4th easy @ 50kp/h. So if I'm doing 60 it's real low in the revs and perrrrs along nice and easy.

VN-SV-89-LE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN BT1 5 Litre 5 Speed
I drive in the "D" or also known as 3rd below 80-90kmp anything over 90 i put it in [D] or 4th

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
1991_Vn2nV said:
Do you even drive a VN?

Did around 200,000 km in one. Your point?

1991_Vn2nV said:
Talk about mechanical sympathy etc. why dont you simply drive it in the right gear selection for appropriate situations...

Uhhh I do. As quoted below, for NORMAL driving I use the blue D. That is normal going for place to place as 95% of the population do. If you are drag racing, or otherwise hammering the sh1t out of the car then you will probably have problems. That said, it is possible to get from A to B by driving smoothly which will also look after your tranny/driveline longer term.

1991_Vn2nV said:
There is no need to argue when the simple fact of the matter has been stated. White D is optimal for under 80km/h and Blue D is optimal for above 80km/h.

No arguement other than in my experience your "simple fact of the matter" is wrong. RTFM (From a VP handbook but I'm almost positive it is the same as VN) -
D (Overdrive). This is the most effective position for NORMAL or freeway driving. The overdrive position gives maximum fuel efficiency, as the transmission can choose the appropriate gear (1 throu to 4) for the existing load and driving conditions. This position can be used for towing under ideal conditions

I repeat - have done hundreds of thousands of km always in the blue "D" and have *never* had an issue. Which bit of that don't you understand?

Reaper

Last edited:

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
1st 75km/h
2nd 125km/h

Wats 3rd & 4th for?!? LoL hahaha Sorry couldn't help myself...

Cheers
MaT

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
VN-SV-89-LE said:
I drive in the "D" or also known as 3rd below 80-90kmp anything over 90 i put it in [D] or 4th
youve been taught well:thumbsup:

90VN55

Reaction score
Members Ride
90 VN SS 5speed, '90 VN Calais 5speed
HoZy said:
1st 75km/h
2nd 125km/h

Wats 3rd & 4th for?!? LoL hahaha Sorry couldn't help myself...

Cheers
MaT
hahaha:thumbsup: