Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what engine oil to use?

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
As far as I'm aware, the best oils are Shell, Castrol, and Penrite. I've never used Penrite personally, but I've used both Castrol and Shell, and they're both great. Shell is a bit more expensive though. You're best off waiting till Repco or Supercheap have sales, you'll find one of them will discounted quite a lot.

Mobil 1 doesn't come to mind? Plenty of good oils, it's all personal preference.

I used Castrol Edge 10w60, just because I can.

pau13z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 3.6L
Mobil 1 doesn't come to mind?

Nope, not because it's no good, I've just never had any experience with it and I've never really heard any awesome reviews from anyone. That's not to say it's bad, but Shell, Castrol and Penrite I've heard things about, and they're always awesome.

Really, oil choice by brand simply comes down to personal preference, which one you're sold on by it's features and unique technologies, etc.

holdenvtman1123

Improvise Adapt Overcome
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6 2006 3.6L
hey guys just bought a vz sv6

what engine oil best to you use for a sv6 with 99,000, will be changine it at 100,000 kms?

hi, I buy ACDelco 5w30, 20Lt drum costs between $120-180 bucks, depends on oil price and the generosity of the guy u buy it off.

this way you can have 3 oil changes for under 200 bucks.

scottysvtcommie

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz calais
iv been using the castrol edge 5w40, im pretty happy with it so far but it is a bit pricy, however i believe in you pay for what you get! so i dont mined the bit extra, also i buy two 5L bottles so the next couple services i only have to buy one 5L bottle that way it works out cheeper than just buying 1L bottles to make up the 6.5L the alloytec holds each service

cheers scott

super6vt1998

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII L67 Calais A4
yeh will go check out repco and supercheap for fathers day sale, castrol edge it is.

scottysvtcommie

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz calais
hay mate repco has the castrol edge 5w40 on special atm from like $79 a bottle down to $59. and i think supper cheep also has the castrol edge 5w30 on special as well

cheers scott

super6vt1998

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII L67 Calais A4
yeh thanks mate gonna go buy it from repco soon, $55 bucks gonna buy 2 bottles so 110 for 2 5litres of castrol edge, pretty cheap!

now im still jumping between getting it serviced or servicing it my self, used to service the vt with my dad but i want to give this car the royal treatment!

the logbook says next service 105,000 but warning liight has come on for next service 100,000kms just bought it so might do it than

logbooks says :
engine oil and filter
auto trans fluid and gasket( gasket for what where?)
if needed brake fluid changed
if needed clutch fluid changed( have auto so doesnt apply to me)
engine coolant changed

planning on doing engine oil filter, coolant flush new coolant and fuel fliter, is it to soon to a trans flush and new fluid because i want to get my trans serviced and ill check brake fluid levels doubt that needs changing

GoodTimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Thunder Sandman, 6-speed Manual
Dude it's all really simple stuff that will take you no longer then one hour. Don't pay a mechanic, look for someone locally on JC that could show you, maybe pay them like $40ish and after that you know how to do it yourself. It's real simple stuff.