Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What gives this sound

statey27

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VQ Statesman 5.0L
I want to gain this sound but don't know what to change.

I am wondering what modification gives the bubbling sound on a 5 litre when you back of on the throttle.

DaRiO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
ive wondered that too... is it achieved by porting??

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
mine does it a bit......ive got port and polished heads.....extractors and a remus muffler with 5 inch resonator and it kinda burbles as i de-accelerate but i dont like it cos it sounds like a lumper lol

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
my vs does it,not quite as much as a v8 would but still noticable...especially at high speed (like if you took your foot of the accelerator at 100k's).
honestly i dont know how/why it does this...ive got a 2 1/2" lukey exhaust and extractors

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
it probably depends on how your engine is and how old the exhaust is etc etc.....

starkeyholden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra
When i had my 2.5 cat back put on my v6, it did that straight away. The main difference i think is that the rear resonator is no longer there.
IMHO, the burble noise is always there, wether or not it is loud enough to hear depends on how mild or wild your mufflers and resonators are.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
mine does it, it sounds louder say if you back down a gear then back off, (in autos ne way) if your in drive, shift to 3, then back off
its alot louder ;)

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
starkeyholden said:
When i had my 2.5 cat back put on my v6, it did that straight away. The main difference i think is that the rear resonator is no longer there.
IMHO, the burble noise is always there, wether or not it is loud enough to hear depends on how mild or wild your mufflers and resonators are.
yep same here

sounds mad in carparks with speed humps - just whack it in 1st and build up to 2500rpm and let go VOILA burbles like a dream

and not a shitty crackle like the riceburners either :p

B

Blownvsute

statey27 said:
I want to gain this sound but don't know what to change.

I am wondering what modification gives the bubbling sound on a 5 litre when you back of on the throttle.
Hi-flow muffler,ie magna flow,supercat,etc,that is a muffler that doesn't reverse flow, in most cases you can see through them end for end with only a slight bend in the guts. You can delete the rear resonator however you may get an annoying cabin "drone" at cruise speeds.Ideally go for a set of Pacemakers into a hi-flow cat, then into a single 3" with a hi-flow muffler and straight through ressy on the rear. I have a mate with a HSV VQ Stato and with this set-up it has an awesome note...although he deleted the rear ressy and it gets that cabin "drone"...

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Mine gives a good gurgle depending on how it's tuned on the day, You can make it like a WRC rally car if thats what you really want :p