Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What headers for a VF SS redline

Ross P

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF ss redline ute
So many brands to choose from, can anyone recommend any particular header and high flow cat system, for some extra KWs. Thanks in advance. Chrs Ross

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Since you are asking about headers and cats but not a full system there are only a few brands that will bolt on to the stock cat back.
Pacemaker shorty try y's are probably the pick of the bunch. If you want to go the el cheapo route nab some HSV pull offs (shouldn't cost more then a few hundred).

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
I thought the sureflo 1 7/8 short 4-1s with ballistic cats finished in the same position?

I am still considering these, but as I have the stock cat back wonder if it will be like water flowing from a firehose into a regular garden hose, or if the stock 2 1/4 inch would flow ok

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Sureflo does too, I haven't heard one myself so cannot comment. The pacies are a pretty common upgrade where I am and sound good even through the stock cat back.
While it is more restrictive then a 2.5" or 3" system for what you're looking for it will be more then sufficient.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
The Sureflo headers/Ballistic cat combo does finish in the same positon as the factory set up, but just has a flat flange, not the conical seal that the factory uses.
You'll need a flanges welded to the cat back.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It will depend on your budget really. There are quite a few brands out there and some have very little difference between them quality wise. There are some cheap and nasty ones and then you get the over priced ones that you pay a premium for a name.

I do Hurricane 1 7/8" 4-1's and Manta high flow cats, but they do not bolt to the stock system without modification. I do a complete package of headers, cats and the cat back which sounds good, doesn't drone and has a noticeable increase in performance.

There are a few options, but the most common is the 3" combo. I do this for $2860 shipped. Comprises of the headers, high flow cats and a twin 3" Manta system with front muffler and hotdogs to stop the drone. If you want it louder you can get it without the front muffler and just hotdogs, but if you plan to fit a cam, it will get horribly raspy.

Comes with all the gaskets, nuts and bolts and fits straight up with no modification.

NS10TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
It will depend on your budget really. There are quite a few brands out there and some have very little difference between them quality wise. There are some cheap and nasty ones and then you get the over priced ones that you pay a premium for a name.

I do Hurricane 1 7/8" 4-1's and Manta high flow cats, but they do not bolt to the stock system without modification. I do a complete package of headers, cats and the cat back which sounds good, doesn't drone and has a noticeable increase in performance.

There are a few options, but the most common is the 3" combo. I do this for $2860 shipped. Comprises of the headers, high flow cats and a twin 3" Manta system with front muffler and hotdogs to stop the drone. If you want it louder you can get it without the front muffler and just hotdogs, but if you plan to fit a cam, it will get horribly raspy.

Comes with all the gaskets, nuts and bolts and fits straight up with no modification.
Hey There was wondering do you do the hurricane headers 4 in 1 7/8 stainless plus 200 hi flow cats with a full 3 inch system do you know what it would sound like? Also what would it sound like?

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Where are they getting this 1 7/8" primary 3" exhaust idea for a stock LS3? This is V8 Supercar stuff that'll flow 600+ horsepower and sacrifice air speed and scavenging on an engine that doesn't make that much power. If this combo makes more power than 1 3/4" primary 2.5" exhausts tested, there's something seriously wrong with the headers, cats and design of the smaller exhaust that'll well accommodate most LS3 road car engine mods flow wise.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Where are they getting this 1 7/8" primary 3" exhaust idea for a stock LS3? This is V8 Supercar stuff that'll flow 600+ horsepower and sacrifice air speed and scavenging on an engine that doesn't make that much power. If this combo makes more power than 1 3/4" primary 2.5" exhausts tested, there's something seriously wrong with the headers, cats and design of the smaller exhaust that'll well accommodate most LS3 road car engine mods flow wise.

Bigger is better, don't you know?

There was a test done by a workshop in Perth a few years ago on an LS1 with different brands and tri Y v 4-1 back to back. There was about 5hp difference across all the headers tested, the torque came on earlier on tri Ys but extended a lot further with 4-1. Can't remember the system it was mated to.

Hey There was wondering do you do the hurricane headers 4 in 1 7/8 stainless plus 200 hi flow cats with a full 3 inch system do you know what it would sound like? Also what would it sound like?

No, don't do it anymore. There are a couple of different configurations with the Manta system, loud, medium and quiet. Even the quiet is not "quiet", but rather deeper and smoother. Still fairly loud though. The Manta would have to be one of the best sounding systems on an LSx, IMO. That's why I dealt with them for close to 30 years, way before they were Manta, back in the FINN-EX days.

Emco

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 Ssv Redline
True, I got 1 3/4 long tube, 100cell 2.5 inch hsv OTR and made 410hp with 700nm.. my tuner told me going large isn't necessarily better. 1 7/8 with 3 inch is too large I believe for non cam non supercharged LS3.