Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what is a thrust bearing??

IDO-360

3800cc
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp spak
can someone help and tell me wat to do withn the car i wish to swap he says it needs a thrust bearing. what is it and what is it going to cost. he said it makes a noise in nuetral and also makes noise while taking off changing gears but the noise quietens

clutch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E, R33 GTST
thrust bearing is the bearing in your gearbox that is relative to your acceleration. i had the same think with my old EG civic, replacing the whole gearbox was easier and cheaper than replacing the bearing, that being said, i did this before learning about a honda mechanic who can do it easier, but im not sure how easy or cheap holden gearboxes are to work with, but theres no "quick fix" for it, if you find a holden mechanic, id say replacing the bearing with cost around 300-600? i think they have to pull the gearbox out, pull it apart, and run a kit through it.

In may also be your main shaft bearing, the main shaft bearing will not make noise when on idle or stopped, but as you accelorate through each gear the noise will speed up as your revs speed up, the main shaft bearing will stop making noise if your driving and clutch in. (just checking that its the right bearing)

W84N01

Reaction score
Website
www.southwestcommodoreconnection.com
Members Ride
VN manual, VC 5L Auto, 80series GXL 4WD :)
Mine does the same sort of noise, i was hoping for a thrust bearing as they are relatively easy to replace and you don't need to take the whole gearbox right out of the car, but mine is the spigot bearing. Doesn't make a noise until i put the car in gear, doesn't do it all the time thou, but you might just wanna check.

Go and get some more opinions from other mechanics before you go and replace something you might not need.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
thrust bearing is the bearing in your gearbox that is relative to your acceleration. i had the same think with my old EG civic, replacing the whole gearbox was easier and cheaper than replacing the bearing, that being said, i did this before learning about a honda mechanic who can do it easier, but im not sure how easy or cheap holden gearboxes are to work with, but theres no "quick fix" for it, if you find a holden mechanic, id say replacing the bearing with cost around 300-600? i think they have to pull the gearbox out, pull it apart, and run a kit through it.

In may also be your main shaft bearing, the main shaft bearing will not make noise when on idle or stopped, but as you accelorate through each gear the noise will speed up as your revs speed up, the main shaft bearing will stop making noise if your driving and clutch in. (just checking that its the right bearing)

I thought that the thrust bearing was (and this may only be for Holdens) a sleave'd bearing housing which sits over the input shaft of the gearbox and is attached to the clutch fork.

The bearing face sits facing the clutch pressure plate fingers and the whole unit is able to slide up and down the input shaft.

When the clutch is engaged, the thrust bearing interfaces with the pressure plate fingers allowing the whole unit to still spin (because of the bearings) but also disengage the friction disc from the flywheel.

The spigut bush is a brass 2 piece bush which sits in the flywheel centre and is where the input shaft end sits normally.

Thrust bearings are not that expensive, ~$70 or something from memory.

Thanks,

aZk.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
they are relatively easy to replace and you don't need to take the whole gearbox right out of the car,

I dont see how, the bearing sits over the input shaft. You need to pull the whole thing out to get to it...

aZk.

W84N01

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
when i took mine to my mechanic to get done, it was up on the hoist (which you can put up on the jack by the looks of it), he did it with the box still up there..........wasn't like a 20 minute job, but alot easier than pulling the whole thing out he reckoned lol..........

And that is exactly where the thrust bearing sits too, well it was in my Holden, and might be different for other cars, but i'm unsure if they are all the same or not

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
I just dont see how he did it...

The thrust bearing literally sits over the input shaft of the transmission, you need to withdraw the shaft to get it off, no other way. The only other way you could do it would be to take the engine out and do it that way... lol, it cant be done with the g/b still attached.

aZk.

W84N01

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
I don't know dude, all i know is i was standing there trying to see what he was doing, all i know is that the gearbox was still up there and not on the bench......maybe he found a way????? lol

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
I don't know dude, all i know is i was standing there trying to see what he was doing, all i know is that the gearbox was still up there and not on the bench......maybe he found a way????? lol

Did he have it on a transmission jack? You could undo it and slide it back past the pressure plate, enough to slip the bearing on.

aZk.

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 XR6T & 1990 VN dragcar project
azkwazere is correct, unless he had unattached the gearbox and had it resting on a trans jack, he simply could not of replaced it. Its just not possible, and if he says it is, I'm sure theres a few guys on here that wanna know how!